Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Next big update  (Read 29881 times)

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: Next big update
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2016, 06:39:58 am »

After watching Outerra for years, I have the impression that the fractal refinement has a tendency to destroy the type of detail shown in that final picture.
Which is were the different erosion patterns  (presets) come in. I assume those will not be affected by the fractal refinement (or at least not that much) and will have some detail sculpted beforehand to match the type of rock and erosion we are trying to portray. Or better yet, the erosion patterns will be instructions to the fractal refinement algorithm itself, making it follow certain rules depending on the rock and erosion type.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

MedwedianPresident

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2017, 04:12:32 am »

Good work so far, Outerra team. However, I must urge you to quickly fix vegetation zones in Siberia - the sharp transistion from coniferous to savannah vegetation is unrealistic, and there should not be any savannah vegetation in Yakutia anyway!

You should implempt smooth transistions between vegetation zones or transparent (mixed) vegetation zones.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 08:32:54 am »

The problem is likely in insufficient species coverage (what species should be there?), or in some bugs in climatic data used for the computation of probabilities. Normally the transition is gradual, as the probabilities for one species fall, they will first reduce in occurrence and only then be replaced by other species.

Player1

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2018, 07:50:26 am »

Hi, today it has been exactly one year since the last update. Any info on when the next version will be released? Regularly looking at the dev screens over at Twitter, I somehow have the feeling this one will be VERY big. ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 03:11:41 am »

this one will be VERY big. ;)

Certainly at least in terms of data size :)

Which is one of the problems, how to set up reliable servers for data download. I think we are nearing the final revision of the new earth dataset, and the size is ~70 GB for the base datasets @30m, additional 20 GB for the global road network, and assuming 30-50 GB for global building data.

We will put some additional effort into compression optimalizations, but that's 10% tops. Also need a way to turn off some layers ...

skpsound

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 10:26:14 am »

Hi, my first post here :) but I'm watching the project maany years, and recently i made a purchase.
I'm not an expert, but is it possible to incorporate somehow a bittorrent protocol to Outerra client, that players can shere THAT! amount of data? Yes, you probably need to have some players with full database on hdd, but harddrives are not that expensive. Actually I'm willing to buy separate hdd for that experience of outerra if i need 150gigs.
I just can not wait for that update :D It will be huge :D I just wish to see more vehicle mods and some work on car physics, also more weather events like snow.

Sorry for my english ;)

sniperwolfpk5

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 04:14:19 am »

DCS World is using torrent and normal Http download option.

josem75

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 04:46:43 am »

this one will be VERY big. ;)

Certainly at least in terms of data size :)

Which is one of the problems, how to set up reliable servers for data download. I think we are nearing the final revision of the new earth dataset, and the size is ~70 GB for the base datasets @30m, additional 20 GB for the global road network, and assuming 30-50 GB for global building data.

We will put some additional effort into compression optimalizations, but that's 10% tops. Also need a way to turn off some layers ...

When you say Base Data Set @30 is 70 Gb, are you already including global road and global buildings?
In case no. Why Dataset is now sensibly bigger than before (about 15 Gb)? Only for rivers and lakes or terrain is more detailed or refined?
In case yes, i suppouse terrain remain the same as before.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:48:50 am by josem75 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 05:16:40 am »

I'm not an expert, but is it possible to incorporate somehow a bittorrent protocol to Outerra client, that players can shere THAT! amount of data?

We had a bittorrent client incorporated into older versions, though it was never enabled due to insufficient testing and problems it was causing, and later removed altogether.

Then we made a torrent file with http seeds which kind of worked, but there usually was not enough seeders and bittorrent has a habit of ignoring the http seeds after some timeout errors on the http and then waiting indefinitely for someone else to have the data ...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 05:34:15 am »

When you say Base Data Set @30 is 70 Gb, are you already including global road and global buildings?
In case no. Why Dataset is now sensibly bigger than before (about 15 Gb)? Only for rivers and lakes or terrain is more detailed or refined?
In case yes, i suppouse terrain remain the same as before.

No, that's why I wrote "additional 20 GB for the global road network ...".

It's bigger because although earth2 was made from 30m source data, it was resampled to around 76m to avoid having large data with SRTM sources that were stated to be 30m, but in fact heavily filtered and the actual resolution consequently lower.
There's a factor of 3x when getting to the next resolution level from 76m (to ~38m).

The new earth dataset (logically named earth7) is using some new DEM source data plus additional processing that justifies the need for for additional data, mainly in the nicest parts of the world. However, it's possible to constraint the data to use the coarser level and still have it looking good - and that's what we'll likely do, placing an option to have full resolution in world settings, but default it to a reduced one. That will lower the requirements for both users and servers.

There's now also a new dataset for water - encoding water level info for lakes and ground below the sea level, but that one is just around 2 GB.

Also those 15GB were without rivers (that came later).

josem75

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2018, 06:48:48 am »

Yes thats what i understood, thanks for explain it.
Do you plan make comparisson between details from previous dataset and new dataset? Because will be another improvement you worked out for the next big update. Terrain more detailed and real 30m dataset finally sounds great to me. I will be the one downloading the full detail version for sure.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:55:59 am by cameni »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 06:59:06 am »

Not sure if we find time for comparisons - I'd think that's something people can and want to do. Earth2 should still run in the new version, as well as the original dataset (earth).

2eyed

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 08:48:24 am »

Funny, as you might have noticed, cameni's avoiding to talk about an ETA for the Next Big Thing (umm, Update).

Jagerbomber

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 12:47:46 pm »

and that's what we'll likely do, placing an option to have full resolution in world settings, but default it to a reduced one.

Guess I'm gonna have to remember that...
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P
Pages: 1 2 [3]