Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Vegetation biomes  (Read 2954 times)

Player1

Vegetation biomes
« on: July 21, 2016, 08:08:26 am »

Hey guys,

This might be a dumb question, but I would really like to know. I am not able to play Outerra at the moment and I am quite curious about the vegetation biomes, which came with 16.7057. How many different biomes are there at all and which ones? :D

2eyed

Re: Vegetation biomes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 10:05:23 am »

If I counted right, there are now 35 species (with size variations) all in all. Some look quite ok, some look like hand drawn. No seasonal variations like snow covered trees yet (but 3 ones without leaves). Resolution is still lacking; we need 3d trees.

Player1

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:43:01 am »

Hi 2eyed,

thanks for your reply. I can play Outerra again and I can fully agree with you. Many trees do not look good at all. For example, there is one in the tropical climate, which just looks like one picture (even with a very low resolution) turning aroung when you pass by. I hope they will replace those trees by realistic-looking ones in the future. :)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:25:56 am »

Yes, the resolution is a limitation. All the trees must fit in the same shape (which is high and narrow), so when we have a wide tree, it end up being too small inside the texture, and, thus, with low resolution.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 10:49:07 am »

For example, there is one in the tropical climate, which just looks like one picture (even with a very low resolution) turning aroung when you pass by.

That's how all trees in Outerra currently work. (Except maybe some 3D trees imported as placeable objects). There is a 3D tree generator in the works but there is no ETA for it.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.