Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Underwater Life  (Read 10921 times)

andfly

Underwater Life
« on: August 06, 2016, 06:56:45 pm »

To enrich the number of "independent living forms" already present in Anteworld propose a couple of models that relate to the underwater world.

A bunch of anchovies:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgMGdRTDVqY3RjaU0/view?usp=sharing

And a group of colorful fish swimming among corals:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6114pZ3kPTgMlFDV3RSY3pQVWs/view?usp=sharing

I hope they are pleasant.

A short video:
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

Jagerbomber

Re: Underwater Life
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 08:13:54 pm »

We need our advanced fish AI.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 08:23:34 pm »

Just: Wooow!!!  :D 
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

andfly

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:32:05 am »

We need our advanced fish AI.

If you're referring to a form of AI that responds, fixed and provided by the program, the events that occur during simulation ... you can do it!
You can, with ease, set a behavior that provides ideal diving depth, change of direction in the presence of obstacles, return to preset coordinates if you stray too far, agreed actions (turns, jumps out of the water, emission of sounds .. .) or randomly or provoked by the situations covered by the program.

If, however, with "advanced AI" images the ability to:
- Recognize the events.
- Implement a "response" behavior
- To recognize the effectiveness of the implemented behavior.
- To propose again the same behavior (or other behavior that got a better score) when you encounter the same event.
So ... it's getting vastly more complicated!

Evolution took a huge time to get to the current brains in possession of living forms.
When an animal decide a strategy of behavior that may seem immediate and simple, actually compares thousands of information already stored in its neuronal connections.
Understand the mechanisms and groped to play them in an increasingly database close to reality is the dream and the continued study of robotics institutes and not at all easy!

Sure, it would be very attractive to try to approach this subject, perhaps trying to play the elementary reactions and the simplest possible (perhaps even of Outerra ...).
But we still lack something essential: the ability to REMEMBER.
I could not find, in the JavaScript used in Outerra, the ability to WRITE FILE.
Surely you can work around the problem with a dll, but this is beyond my abilities.
And then ... in all honesty ... I seem to really cross over into science fiction ...
It would require a very serious study on the subject ... and I do not know if I would be able ...

It remains, however, an extremely fascinating dream that sometimes occupies my mind, immediately followed by removal of the thoughts on the difficulties involved ...
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

andfly

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 11:47:46 am »

Just: Wooow!!!  :D

Just (again): Thanks !  :D

Pollux

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 07:17:46 pm »

Hi andfly,

Thanks a lot but how do you start the fish swimming..?
I've got the coral and a static fish on top.
Many thanks

andfly

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 01:18:52 pm »

Hi andfly,

Thanks a lot but how do you start the fish swimming..?
I've got the coral and a static fish on top.
Many thanks

Sorry I'm late ... but yesterday I was away from home and without a computer!

To use the model positioned on the sea in a shallow spot.
To the Anteworld menu (button: ESC).
Click on "water" (or F5).
Click on "Coral Fish".
Click on "Spawn".

The model will appear and the fish begin to swim.

Now you can press the "C" key to select an external view and with the mouse wheel you can get close or get away.

Only two small tips:

1) Choose a seabed pretty "flat."
The movement of the fish is centered on the coral and, if the seabed is sloping and the coral begins to slide, also the movement of the fish will, accordingly, a little "jerky" and less pleasant.

2) Choose a "shallow".
The absorption of the colors on the depth, it is strong enough for default.
If you are "in shallow water" and positions the view "to the hair surface" display also the many colors of the fish.

Good fun!  :)

Pollux

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 02:49:11 pm »

Thanks so much andfly, it works now, my mistake sorry.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 01:31:55 pm »

The way they reflect the light at the end of that video is amazing.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

andfly

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 07:44:41 pm »

The way they reflect the light at the end of that video is amazing.

Thanks Zeos.

Yes, the underwater lights are quite spectacular.

But ... I'll tell you more!
When the resolution of the landscape and brought to 30 mt., perhaps for an error (I hope not), even in shallow waters appeared the presence of vegetation (grass) has been changed previously only on dry ground.
This vegetation looks like a cover of marine algae and reflects the light from the headlights of the models (as opposed to the underwater terrain that still does not reflect light).
The resulting effect is very pleasant: in the underwater darkness, the submarine lights make it shine vegetation as if it was hit by the black lights in a disco!
I dug a few clips of movies that I had kept to witness this effect in the case that, with later versions, had disappeared (maybe ... correct).
And I built a short video.
I propose because I think it's a very nice effect (... and I hope it is retained).

P.S.
One "small observation":
Underwater, after a few meters, all becomes blue and then black !
This is absolutely right for the sunlight but I think it is less precise for artificial lighting ...
I think they should keep their color and be absorbed by the distance from the light source (and not with the depth).

Little Prayer ... for Cameni ... (Thank you!)