Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: All areas with cities or other artificial structures appear as grassland  (Read 3845 times)

Oatmeal_Spigeon

Hi, I noticed that whenever I go to a place with a city or town in it, instead of it appearing as, say, a forest, it looks barren, with barely any vegetation other than grass anywhere. This really bugs me since everything else looks pretty much fine. Will this be fixed so that cities and towns can appear as whatever biome the surrounding area is?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: All areas with cities or other artificial structures appear as grassland
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 02:33:34 am »

It's because in satellite data these areas appear as barren, with a very low vegetation index (ratio between vegetation and non-vegetation surface area). Fortunately, some other layers in the satellite data can tell whether the surface is artificial, making it possible to fill all urban areas from the peripheral data.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:34:53 pm »

Or... you could fill it with buildings yourself.

(Not the simplest task, obviously.)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 04:17:18 am »

Yes, but you still have to reconstruct the original vegetation index, otherwise any gaps and parks will be barren.

Oatmeal_Spigeon

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 03:13:41 am »

I think that maybe you could use maps of what the climate was believed to be like before humans settled in those areas, so it would sort of be like the far future parts of 'Life After People'.