Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: New elevation data  (Read 6219 times)

Amygdala48

New elevation data
« on: November 13, 2016, 11:37:52 am »

Is it possible to use independent elevation data in the game? My entire country is getting scanned by laser and the resolution is staggering. Houses, trees and even patio furniture are picked up by this new technology. The data are free to use by the public and it is released as soon as the projects are done. http://imgur.com/a/QSjjv here is a shadow relief of what it's capable of.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
Re: New elevation data
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 11:59:30 am »

What would be the size of that database? I presume beyond huge.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Amygdala48

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 12:13:17 pm »

Yes it would probably be humongous as the resolution is 2 points per square meter and higher in some areas.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 04:22:27 pm »

Yes... I think the original data is not an option, although would be interesting to have a less resolution dataset obtained from that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 09:42:01 pm by KW71 »
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:11:31 am »

Of course, the data would be also no good. The process to remove everything that's baked into the elevation would be pretty costly ...

Jorge

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 11:49:40 am »

Not intending to hijack your thread, but...

What if to replace a small square (let's say 2 km x 2 km) taking out the SRTM/fractal default data and inserting a real topography surveying in the place? That would be great to commercial use of this tool, for example, if I intend to show a factory or mining layout using the amazing render system, but with my own elevation 3D data. I'm aware that would be possible to create the mining machinery, vehicles, etc. in 3dsMax and import to Outerra, but I couldn't find a way to import the proper terrain into the engine.

Anyone?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:28:32 am »

It's possible but currently requires running our internal terrain import tools on the whole world, recompiling the dataset. The insets may eventually affect the top level aggregation, but we'll probably have to address it since it's requested often by our commercial partners.

byte512

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 06:08:24 pm »

Of course, the data would be also no good. The process to remove everything that's baked into the elevation would be pretty costly ...

There is hope though, the german federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia for example has a lot of geodata freely available, including laserscans of the terrain, covering the entire state.
One version of the provided laserscans is a preprocessed version, that has just the ground elevation with a resolution 1x1 m (meaning houses, trees, bridges, etc. have been cleaned out already).