Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Forest Floors  (Read 8631 times)

deleted user

Forest Floors
« on: December 16, 2016, 08:58:47 pm »

I wrote a lot but lost it, so here's this painfully short post instead.
Pine needles and dead leaves consesting of dark green-brown hues would make trees look grounded as if it has a shadow when looking from afar, and would help break up the cleanness of forest up close. Baking textures would be to costly with the scale that game is one so have desalinated texture is better. It is a relative simple thing to implement with a lot of graphical payoff. Graviteam Tactics and ArmA 2 do this effect very well. What the extreme of baking shadows textures can do.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Forest Floors
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 02:22:50 am »

There already is a form of ambient occlusion under trees:

Baking textures would be to costly with the scale that game is one so have desalinated texture is better.

In OT it's actually not costly thanks to its procedural architecture, but we are shamefully underusing it at the moment.

deleted user

Re: Forest Floors
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 07:58:51 pm »

It looks really nice, but the forests still look clean, and lacking in dead branches, pine neeedles, fallen pinecones. General shurbs, bushes and foliage  would do wounders for the graphical appeal. What I was thinking was texture to do this,  because it would look extremely nice up close and as secondary function would look like a shadow afar. I still think that implementing it would be a good idea as it would look really good with the shadows that are in already.