Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ideas for People  (Read 50569 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Ideas for People
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 03:29:26 am »

New guy is too shiny to be named Jose. I think his name is Carl. Or Mr Destructo.  One of those.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

hyperpep111

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 06:05:19 am »

Another Idea for people in the game, Is the interface.
Something like the penumbra interface would be great.
E.g when you get close to a door, you have to click and drag the mouse to open/close it. Instead of doing the usual space or enter. And also like the heavier the object the more force you have to use.
Thanks for reading.

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 01:55:27 pm »

The thing was, penumbra had small, handbuilt environments. It had to track a few thousand objects in an area, so it could afford to put a lot of data (mass, velocity, rotation...) on each one.

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 10:47:25 pm »

Quote from: MatthewS
I know Outerra is OpenGL based and not DirectX.   Does OpenGL support hardware instancing of objects such as tree, building and people models?  It would seem this is a way populate the world with thousands of objects and still have high FPS.

Yes OpenGL supports hardware instancing, it supports every HW feature as DirectX and a few more which are specific for ATI or Nvidia cards. But instancing is not a universal cure, in scenes filled with lots of objects you are still limited to polygon count/vertex count/bandwidth. When you make a barrel with 200 faces and instance it in a scene one thousand times you are still creating scene with 200 000 faces... We are already using HW instancing in Outerra, but under OpenGL it's not such big difference because OpenGL is more effective in this area.

Look at "people flow" a technology developed by ORBX systems for Flight Simulator X (and Prepar3d) that already struggle to hold decent FPS. So with the more advanced methods you guys are using with this engine you shouldn't have issues with too many faces so to speak.
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

DarkDXZ

• Exception within exception...EXCEPTION!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 02:51:42 pm »

the scripting in gmod is a terrible example of a good system. Yes things like wire and precision alignment are excellent tools but for every 1 good and helpful tool there are literally 1,000 horrible mingy ones.

A more complex modding process involving modeling and scripting such as with addons for racing sims would be better as less people are capable of doing it and with less coming out there is more likelyhood of something being inspected and included.

Think Blockland.
Or maybe not...

Spitting random cow manure (for lack of more polite word) is all I can do.

After all, Blockland has huge and relatively extensive modding, proved by hundred of bigger and thousands of smaller add0ons that people make.
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" - Joseph Stalin

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 06:24:22 pm »

outerra seems to be set to become a great sandbox in the way minecraft works..but instead of crafting the environment the goal could be filling it with realworld content. the game could be that players get achievements for verifying or adding content that comes in for e.g. openstreetmap, or content that is modeled, animation loops that are added to an animation database that outerra can connect to and so on. giving objects physical attributes,...this could be the creative part of the "game". next you can give "players" the option to create a lobby and this lobby will create an "instance" of the world they can be playing in (an instance like in world of warcraft). they can play around with objects or vehicles and create their own adventures. the "mod-community" could create scripts and custom objects that act as gamedesign elements...e.g. a flagpole object that is connected to a gui element. and voila you can have a capture the flag game. all this ideas come from playing minecraft but i think outerra can take the same direction but with the goal to crowd-source the content creation. the more data-sources it can connect to the better. i think it would be premature to develop ONE game with it. i think the engine would benefit more from a creating stable modtools instead. these mods could be then implemented once they are considered beneficial for the bigger goal of outerra

My take on MP in Anteworld would be ability for every player to make their own Earth (some would make virtual representation of real Earth and other would make their own fictional Earth) and then you'd be able to make a private/public server that others would be able to connect to and explore your Earth. That way there would be many different Earths to explore. Obviously if you'd want to do that there would have to be a way for ppl that are connecting to your server to download needed models, how that would work I don't know since I'm not an expert on... anything actualy =P but I think that would be one very awesome thing if it could be executed.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:06:03 am by Atrax »

bmandudeman

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 11:21:35 pm »

One idea or dream of a game that could happen is just a game in which you set up a goal, and the objective is to travel there with all resources you have available to yourself. it would be nice if Outerra used some sort of algorithm to produce roads based on google maps or other sources (Tell me if there is, that would be awesome). Anyway I just think that it would be cool to focus more on vehicular simulation. There are my thoughts, feel free to comment and or criticize. I am new to Outerra so I do not now it's capabilities. i would love to get in touch with the community.
Pages: 1 [2]