Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Random Development Screenshots on Twitter  (Read 128579 times)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: Random Development Screenshots on Twitter
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2017, 03:31:01 am »

aWac9

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2017, 10:35:10 am »

Great contribution. really beautiful

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 03:16:08 am »

https://twitter.com/outerradev/status/864154221620416512

Dynamically controlled emissive textures

Varldsligist

• Long time x, first time y
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 02:21:28 pm »

Neat! But in layman's term, what does it enable us to do? (apart from turn signals)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2017, 03:24:42 am »

So the important thing here are not the light, but rather the texture. You can already switch lights on and off in Outerra, what's demonstrated here is the emissive value of a texture (think self-lightning in the dark) can be changed dynamically. That's important because emissive textures are one of the most performance-free type of lights. Imagine things like buildings windows being lit after night or control panels, screens turning bright after engine startup  :)

josem75

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2017, 07:48:19 am »

So the important thing here are not the light, but rather the texture. You can already switch lights on and off in Outerra, what's demonstrated here is the emissive value of a texture (think self-lightning in the dark) can be changed dynamically. That's important because emissive textures are one of the most performance-free type of lights. Imagine things like buildings windows being lit after night or control panels, screens turning bright after engine startup  :)

This is HUGE..  So this mean in the texture we can control intensity, colour, narrow, etc of the light?
Are they emitting shadows too?  If yes, it would be great an option to disable for build cities with buildings and street lights. For see from a plane not necesary they are emiting shadows i guess and performance cost would be huge (i assume).

This is great contribution

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2017, 11:30:18 am »

Are they emitting shadows too?  If yes, it would be great an option to disable for build cities with buildings and street lights. For see from a plane not necesary they are emiting shadows i guess and performance cost would be huge (i assume).

Emissive is a on-texture only effect (I may be wrong). You could probably use bloom to give a "diffuse " effect to the light, but it can't cast shadows (that's also why it's the best solution for performance, but is limited).

Some folks have already used emissive to add light lights for buildings models, maybe they could post some pics here ;)

josem75

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2017, 01:47:55 pm »

Emissive is a on-texture only effect (I may be wrong). You could probably use bloom to give a "diffuse " effect to the light, but it can't cast shadows (that's also why it's the best solution for performance, but is limited).

Some folks have already used emissive to add light lights for buildings models, maybe they could post some pics here ;)

But the great is, the emissive textures are not only autoiluminated color (white, yellow or whatever light), but actually affect ligh on the enviroment.
So if we make a house or a city, those lights from buildings windows can put some light on the street.  Same when you use for a plane cockpit, etc.
Without cast shadows is perfect coz surely the engine is capable of zillions of textures (a city for example) with great performance. So not so necesary. But the option to active shadows would be also nice for some uses, like lights of the car for example.

For make lights of the city with street lamps with very little job (just copy paste lamps), so avoid a huge effort puting real lights.
So i assume soon we will see some screens here with street lamps (similar to poles we saw already) with light emision.   
its the freedom to put a lot of lights directly on the objects and copy them easily.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:58:12 pm by josem75 »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2017, 02:17:53 pm »

But the great is, the emissive textures are not only autoiluminated color (white, yellow or whatever light), but actually affect ligh on the enviroment.

So far is not like that. I think the video we see is using both lights and emissive textures... without this textures, the lamps could be look illuminated by the light, but not so nicely and uniform...

Cameni have already posted some pics in this thread.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:19:59 pm by KW71 »
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

josem75

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2017, 03:59:04 pm »

So far is not like that. I think the video we see is using both lights and emissive textures... without this textures, the lamps could be look illuminated by the light, but not so nicely and uniform...

Cameni have already posted some pics in this thread.

Ahhh. If its really like that as you say, I missunderstood that "dinamically controlled" phrase.  Then this surely mean you can switch on/off as we see in the video.
Still would be nice Emisive textures can iluminate too.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2017, 03:43:31 pm »

@fsxthai asks
Any new hot developments? #steamypics 😬😬😬🙃🙃

@outerradev says
Lots of imagery and vector data analysis and processing going on right now. Here's a pic :)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2017, 04:55:54 pm »

So is that lakes/shorelines?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Occams Razer

• Freelance Graphic and Game Designer, 3D Artist
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2017, 11:46:17 pm »

That's New York. The large, central landmass in the center/lower-right is Long Island, while Manhattan is at the center/left. Central Park, the Harlem River, Jamaica Bay, and Roosevelt Island are all visible. Those are the geographic features that I'm familiar with, at least.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2017, 12:38:30 am »

I'm aware of where that is lol.  (I'm also just North of there.)  What I was wondering is if this image is for improved shorelines/water levels and lakes.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2017, 03:53:20 am »

For many things - high res tree maps, cropland, inland water, land below the sea level, fixing the shores etc.

Also, we have to combine multiple raster and vector sources and perform acrobatics because of how buggy the data are :(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13