Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Outerra on multiple monitors and Oculus Rift  (Read 4275 times)

goodfellow

Outerra on multiple monitors and Oculus Rift
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:49:03 am »

Hello everybody,

I would like to know if there's a way to share the image of Outerra between a PC monitor and the Oculus Rift.
The idea is that a second person would be able to track my movements on a monitor showing the world map (like when one presses F2) while I'd be in VR

This is how i picture it:

- Oculus Rift showing the first person camera moving
- PC monitor showing the movement progress on the world map

Is there a way to achieve that?

Thank you very much in advance!

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
Re: Outerra on multiple monitors and Oculus Rift
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 06:28:04 pm »

This is technically possible, but it is not a current feature. You would either need to build a plugin to connect two Outerra instances over a network, or you could connect to a socket at localhost:port/page to show the OT camera position on a map in an HTML page in your browser, or if your PC is good enough you could extend Outerra across two screens (for 2x HD displays set resolution to 3840x1080 in eng.cfg) and have an HTML window displayed on one of the screens, but that would waste a lot of resources rendering the world which wouldn't be visible covered by the map, and again any of those solutions would require you or someone to build it. Hope that answers your question.

Regards,
Uriah

goodfellow

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 03:22:23 am »

Thank you Uriah,

I see it's more complicated than I thought. I admit my programming limits are quite narrow.
Could I ask you for more help? How would I build the plugin to connect two Outerra instances over a network?
The second option you mentioned ("you could connect to a socket at localhost:port/page to show the OT camera position on a map in an HTML page in your browser") sounds like the less painful: can i ask you for a clarification?

Again, thanks for all the help!

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 06:39:02 am »

Sorry I can't, that requires network which I know next to nothing about implementing. The last option, extending to a second display and pushing an HTML map to one could work if you know a bit of JavaScript and HTML.

Someone else might have a better solution, and OT is working on networking, so we're all looking forward to that.

Regards,
Uriah

langdon

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:57:29 am »

Hi Goodfellow,
Quick question... Do you have fsx, p3d or x-plane by any chance? And you'll also need fsuipc (not sure if you need the paid version or not).

There's a plugin, that may need updating, that connects FSX to OT. You could slew around (or fly) in fsx and OT will follow it in VR.
Actually  never tried it in VR but in theory it should work.

Last time I tested it worked with fsx, fsx:se, p3d and x-plane using fsuipc/xuipc.

L

goodfellow

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 01:32:13 pm »

Thank you Uriah! You pointed me to a first direction i didn't even have a clue about.

Hi langdon, no i don't have any of these. Would they be required for what you have in mind?
How would it work? Again, apologies for the complete utter ignorance on the subject...