Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Invisible trees on roads in Switzerland  (Read 5033 times)

byte512

Invisible trees on roads in Switzerland
« on: June 11, 2017, 02:20:15 pm »

I'm not really sure, if this is the right place to post this. If not, feel free to move/remove this topic.

I tried driving from Bern to lake Constanz using the new fast Porsche and the swiss roads generated from OSM in version 17.0.2.8079.
At several places on the highways, i crashed into patches of invisible objects, that stopped me completely or sent me spinning out of control.
Due to the fact that i could drive around single objects by simply changing lanes, i assume that these are trees, which have been removed visually by the road, but whose collision mesh or whatever remained.

One example was encountered while driving the A1 in eastern/northern direction through Gränichen.
The location hashtag for that was #AQIrPmf1KyBAK0NsOuGuR0AqwMpDGm10QmDlZ8GAkzE79HTLTs6Uc0GoAAAA
The big problem is, that these invisible obstacles are not there anymore after restarting Anteworld.

A video of what it looks like:

Jagerbomber

Re: Invisible trees on roads in Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 03:25:07 pm »

Yeah, I noticed this as well.  It seems that sometimes trees (sometimes even visible) and collision are able to make it through the road clearing area (or whatever they wanna call it), even when borders/margins or whatever are still at default.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 03:37:05 pm »

Yes these are trees (alt+9 shows them if you have debug_keys=true), I'm trying to find when this happens, but thanks to the non-permanent nature it's hard to debug.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:16:54 pm »

Not sure if this is really accurate or helpful, but I was surprised to find that this seems to happen more (with a visible tree that is usually not quite on top of the actual visual road/dirt, or maybe even sometimes is, not sure) on the inside of a curve rather than the outside of a curve, which is where I would more expect to see one, though I don't know what the tree clearing areas/boxes look like.  But it also seems to still be able to happen on straights.

But I could be completely wrong and haven't actually specifically gone to try to test this out.

I haven't ever actually checked with the debug grids, but is it still possible to make thin, maybe even invisible, ground spikes out into space with a problematic pile of twisted road waypoints?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:20:09 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

aWac9

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 01:34:57 pm »

I look for an obstacle and I mark it

screen_1497374030 by , en Flickr

F11 and delete trees.

screen_1497373999 by , en Flickr

The obstacle continues

screen_1497373980 by , en Flickr

I look for and follow the origin of the road and we arrive at this place

screen_1497372558 by , en Flickr

I remove the wrong section of the road

screen_1497373082 by , en Flickr

Now there is no obstacle, no trees and trees

screen_1497374407 by , en Flickr screen_1497374469 by , en Flickr

Is it possible that these obstacles are related to the road terminals?

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 02:06:37 pm »

Cool! You used my tower of pisa, with broken uv-map! :D