Anteworld - Outerra Game > Game & gameplay discussion

Future of the game - III

<< < (4/7) > >>

Lesnikus:

--- Quote from: Acetone on January 22, 2018, 06:40:46 am ---Quick note Lesnikus: the drop you noticed in november/december happens every year (in forum posts by the devs, updates). It's because ITSEC happens in that time of year and they are extra busy doing support for TitanIM.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the detailed explanation, it calmed me down.

--- Quote from: Acetone on January 22, 2018, 06:40:46 am ---That said, if you are on the Discord, you can see the devs are here, working.

--- End quote ---
I did not know about Discord chat, thank you. I only looked at twitter and there the news does not always appear often, so any delay caused concern

aWac9, agree with you. I met Outerra in 2008, after reading a note in the game magazine and immediately thought: the project is too ambitious, it is impossible, the development will be closed in a couple of years. After that, I forgot about Outerra for a long time. How surprised I was when I learned that the developers have released a demo and are constantly developing their project! I am amazed by the perseverance of the creators of the engine.

josem75, incredibly well said! I'm also not interested in the game, I'm interested in the engine and the ability to realize my game in it. To play not in game, and to play with the engine. I do not know how this will be realized in the end, in the form of modding of Arma level or as a full-fledged SDK, but for me the engine and its capabilities is more important. For me, the most anticipated innovations are:

1) A fully-fledged cities and a buildings generator that will accurately repeat the outlines of buildings from the OSM and take into account the necessary tags (roof shape, facade material, etc.)
2) 3D trees
3) Powerful scripting / coding, allowing you to create your own gameplay.
4) The ability to run the game without the Internet, DRM free. I understand you guys, every developer struggles with the illegal distribution of their product, but I feel like I'm the owner of the purchased game only if I can play it, regardless of the Internet, servers, etc. Internet activation is evil.

When all this appears, it will be possible to say that Outerra met my expectations

fooff:

--- Quote from: Jagerbomber on January 20, 2018, 06:56:07 pm ---Because the pictures of lakes and improved shorelines isn't progress shown?

--- End quote ---

To you, Jaegerbomber, and to all the people who replied saying the engine is great and they are all happy about this: yes, the engine is great, but this post is about the GAME.
And yes, the pitures of shorelines and lakes is a show of progression, but thats exactly what frighten me: since i backed the game I always received continous (small) progress in the other direction (the engine) and not nothing about the game.

This is like asking an architect to build your house and for five years he continues to show you how good the new doors appear in the 3D data. I GOT IT DAMN IT, START BUILDING ALREADY

Revolver:
Gentlemans understands please one thing at last - OT is not a Game, but OT is a ENGINE!

What you will build for a game based on this Engine is up to you. As an example TitanIM builds its own game and does not wait until the OT- Engine
completely done, but goes along with the same step with OT - Team and does with every path to renew their own game.

So, one more time - OT is a Engine! Did they finally understand that? And what they themselves will build for a Game, they will then betray us, if
they are done with the Engine.

2eyed:
Well, here an excerpt from outerra.com:

Anteworld* is a world-building game on a massive true-to-life scale of our planet. Returning aboard an interstellar colonizer ship built in the Golden Age of Mankind, players arrive on the planet earth to discover civilization and humanity vanished. They will have to rebuild the civilization - exploring, fighting, and competing for resources while searching for clues to the disappearance of humanity.
The game will contain several modes, the basic one will be a single-player game but with player-built locations being synchronized and replicated between clients. That means player can settle in a free location of his choice where he can build and play, and when he goes exploring he'll be able to observe and visit other sites where other players are building their world.
There's going to be also a multiplayer mode for gaming in the existing world.
Sim-connect mode should allow to use Anteworld as an image generator for another simulation program.
In fact, Anteworld is meant to create the basis for an Outerra game/sim platform, allowing to create mods and new game modules that would run on the existing backend.
*The name comes from Latin prefix Ante-, with the meaning of prior-to in time. A world that was.

I personally don't need a game. I like the ever evolving sandbox. Since the subject is the whole world, the task is endless.

Jagerbomber:

--- Quote from: Revolver on January 28, 2018, 08:15:26 am ---Gentlemans understands please one thing at last - OT is not a Game, but OT is a ENGINE!
--- End quote ---

He gets that, just nobody wants to say "Anteworld".   :P :))

And yeah, I'm mostly with 2eyed on Anteworld/Outerra being a sandbox.  ARMA-like kind of.  But I'm more interested in scenic driving (including multiplayer) and, well... (real world) city building (even if it's only visual).  But of course, at world scale, it looks like this is being done for us.  Which is cool, technically. (very cool) But it takes away from building (in my case, recreating) the world ourselves. Leaving us to do other things.  Which, of course, could be plenty of things (and not in empty settings... unless of course we were to go somewhere with nothing around).  As long as its all moddable.  But I do lean more towards real-world re-creation.  (and yet, don't think that I want post-apocalyptic, lol).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version