Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Future of the game - III  (Read 23695 times)

fooff

Future of the game - III
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:07:13 am »

AAAND....
here we are again! :)

This time I let some more time pass after my last post so people cannot complain too much about my insistence.
Just kidding, I don´t give a * about what other people think, I just completely forgot about this project until today.
And, looking from the forum, it seems like I´m not the only one  =|

So, ritual question: any updates? Not talking about the engine (which also look stuck, last update is more than 1 year old?), but about the game, is there any movement towards anything concrete?

zzz

Re: Future of the game - III
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:34:55 am »

It is rather depressing. Gaps between updates got longer and those deployed mainly targeted tweaking the world's appearance. No documentation for any of the new functions. The promised flood of functionality from basic elements migrated from TitanIM never occurred.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:09:18 am »

The project is very very alife, but it is in the oven ... so we can not touch that cake for now... Do not desperate; the wait is worth while.  :)
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

fooff

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:50:44 pm »

The project is very very alife, but it is in the oven ... so we can not touch that cake for now... Do not desperate; the wait is worth while.  :)

How not to reassure people 101

Lesnikus

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:45:11 am »

The frequency of publication of new tweets in Outerra Dev Screenshots, presented in two graphs: a linear graph and a pie chart:

If several messages were published on the same day, they were counted as one. As can be seen from the graph, starting from November 2017, the frequency dropped to 1 screenshot a month, and this is still happening (January 18, 2018). Half of January passed, and the last tweet was published on January 3. The trend persists.

I can draw one of the following conclusions:

1) In November, developers encountered unforeseen problems, which slowed the development and which have not been resolved so far.

OR:

2) The developers have made all the necessary innovations in the program and since November they are busy with testing and debugging, so there is no new material for the screenshots. In this case, the development of the next version of Outerra is in the final stage and soon (according to Outerra standards) we will get a new version.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:49:51 am by Lesnikus »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 12:35:48 pm »

And, you know.... Holidays.

You guys are being way too critical & analytical about this... At least in this manner.

::)

Nobody, not even the devs, can accurately say when something will be ready for release, in advance.  That's really, just how it goes.  And of course some things take longer than others.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:39:16 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Lesnikus

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:11:02 am »

And, you know.... Holidays.

1 September (1992) - Day of the Constitution of the Slovak Republic
15 September - Day of Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows, patron saint of Slovakia
1 November - All Saints’ Day
17 November - Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day
24 December - Christmas Eve
25 December - Christmas Day
26 December - St. Stephen's Day
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_Slovakia

Are there more holidays in November and December than before? 2 days in November and 3 days in December. That's not a lot

The decline began in October (2 tweets), in which there are no holidays, and since November the frequency of publications has reached a plateau of 1 tweet per month.

Drawing the timetables for tweets can look funny, but in fact I'm just trying to brighten up the time in anticipation of news.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:16:29 am by Lesnikus »

fooff

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 04:03:42 pm »

Nobody, not even the devs, can accurately say when something will be ready for release, in advance.  That's really, just how it goes.  And of course some things take longer than others.

Look, nobody is asking for a release day here, so do not try to convince me we are pressing too much.
I've been here since 5 (FIVE) years, and all i always asked for was a few clues about the game.
Generic answers were given, and ZERO progress was shown.

I just would like you guys to be more open: what are you working on? do you have any short term goals?  Do you have something on you hand or just ideas? And in that case what kind of ideas do you have? Show us! Or have you simply decide to abandon the project?

Anything, but talk! Sorry but after 10 years of developing you cant afford the luxury to be vague about your work anymore, without looking like scammers

Jagerbomber

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 06:56:07 pm »

Because the pictures of lakes and improved shorelines isn't progress shown?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ObscuredSoS

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 06:31:06 am »

I backed this game like 5 years ago. Sad to see there is still no game yet. LOL

josem75

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 06:41:27 am »

Its true that we dont have a game yet. But in my case is the less as long as i enjoy the engine itself. But i suppouse this will be depending on each person. So those who want the game are understable.
A game with character animated and other folks in net will be great for sure but i enjoy enough the engine during years for 15 bucks. Probably the game/simulator i open in my computer and use for longer time. So worth what i paid, while wait the progress and the game.

Thats said. I can see the progress of the engine. Now have accurate terrain, rivers, trees, and soon lakes, shorelines, roads, buildings. New textures and pipeline engine, and much more.

Another good thing on the game, we (comunity)  will be surelly very active in his concept and options. Something that we cant say about almost any other games.

This is slow because its a huge and ambitious proyect. And the game still not the priority while the engine is not ended for make a good complete game with all the options avaiable.
Probably the most ambitious proyect we ever saw (are we allright in that?)

And all this huge job Coming from two guys and not from a big trademark, its understable that they need to earn $ while they do all this sexy engine for all us.  Cant be scam even if they spend lot time more in release the game. Its just a diferent develop system where we help with early adoption to make it posible.
I feell more grateful for their job coz i can enjoy this great proyct engine than scamed xD. But i talk for just my case.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:23:38 am by josem75 »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 03:19:55 pm »

Well said, josem75!  The journey is as fun as might be the arrival!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

aWac9

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 05:40:55 pm »

The reason why in this forum I almost always write in Spanish is because it is my mother tongue and I do not speak English. So, all the semantic nonsense is the responsibility of the Google translator. Although I would like to express myself correctly in English to better understand what I think.

We all have the right to have our own vision of Outerra and it is good that it is externalized. Each one exposes their own sensitivity, and all are respectable.
I will talk about mine, which will be at the same level as any other.

The first thing that comes to my mind is to remember how I discovered Outerra. I remember it was in a video called Himalaya, in 2010, where a Cessna flew some incredible mountains and landed on a track with a certain inclination. At that time I was already flying flight simulators and what I was seeing seemed incredible to me. We were in front of an engine that was capable of representing the entire planet with good graphics and acceptable fps, and all for a 3D engine with incredible fractal algorithms.

The first thing to say about this engine, ... is that there is nothing like that anywhere else, and they have no competition, not even those companies with great resources can achieve what these guys have achieved.

When everything started, we knew that resources were few and that initial symbolic support ($ 15) was needed for the project to have some continuity. There was talk of a game, but we all knew that it would only come to light once the engine matured and traveled a long route that would end in an API or SDK. Personally, the game never interested me, because if it did not have wings it would not work, but that was the least of it, the important thing was to support and encourage them, and not be demoralized by the size of the company. and that everything had a final compensation or reward.

Then there was talk of an agreement with Itanim, which was great for the future of their company as they gained more support and shared with us the idea that many of the advances would be added to Outerra Anteworld, as it has been ... for that reason why today we can enjoy those incredible landscapes, lights and infinity of elements added in time to the engine.

For my part, nothing against objection, on the contrary, encourage them not to lose the projection that brought them here and see this impressive engine grow as we see our children grow.

When you've been living with Outerra for so long on your PC, it's so familiar to you that if that anagram were not there, I'd miss you.
 ;)

Bob425

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 06:14:32 am »

I, for one, am very satisfied with OA, yes, there are features that I would like added or improved, but am prepared to wait for them to be implemented. My main interest is in watercraft and scenery, and OT blows me away with its scenery rendering.
I have another platform where I can very well operate watercraft with a large degree of reality, yes, it does lack many of OT's splendid features, but gives me perfect water conditions where I can control wave height and water depth, futhermore, watercraft are stable. The Scenery is as good as you make it!!
I know that improvements will come in time to OT, but we do not want them rushed, when they come they should be good.
Many people want different features included in OT, but they must realise that their particular wishlist may not be granted in the next update when it comes.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 06:40:46 am »

Quick note Lesnikus: the drop you noticed in november/december happens every year (in forum posts by the devs, updates). It's because ITSEC happens in that time of year and they are extra busy doing support for TitanIM.

Some devs like to be open about everything they do, and publish builds quickly, despite bugs and having sometimes to roll back features because they are sub-par, creating a long string of not-future proof content. It's not how OT devs work, and even if it can result in long periods of silence, I (for one) can appreciate that. It's a perfectionist and carefull approch, even if it takes time.

It's not like if they were selling 240$ versions of the Cessna for "project support" and premium backers 8)

That said, if you are on the Discord, you can see the devs are here, working.
Pages: [1] 2 3