User mods, screenshots & videos > Static models

Grouping of several objects

(1/3) > >>

Bob425:
Can anyone explain how to group several models, so that they appear in the Asset Menu under a single folder?

patmarrnc:
Hi Bob425,
First of all, I want to thank you for making your Mersey available. I downloaded it and have been enjoying it.

I'm a newbie here, so I don't have many answers... but here is my understanding of the question you have asked:

any time there is more than one OBJDEF file in a packages directory, the subject of the OBJDEF will show up as an item within a folder.  Looking at the folders in Levi's World2XPlane series, I see that he has many OBJDEF files but only one PKG file.  I'm guessing that the original model that was uploaded had many submeshes that are referenced by the various OBJDEF files in the folder.  I believe this to be true because even with only one PKG file, the models in the folder are frequently different shapes and sizes.

It is also possible to have multiple OBJDEF files in a folder for the purpose of sending different parameters to a script or when using more than one script with the same geometry.

pedropp222:
I would like to know this as well! I created 3 different cubes and tried to import to outerra.

Does not matter what I do, it always joins the meshes into 1 thing. I tried everything.

If anyone could explain how to somehow make them a separate mesh, as they should be, I would appreciate it. This is impacting my desire do make assets.

KW71:
Hi, pedropp222!

Is not possible with .fbx (for now; probably soon). You need to use collada (.dae) instead (I guess the collada importer is F7, click on "assets", click on "import dae".

Every different object in your 3d app will be imported into a single .pkg, but you'll see a different .objdef and .mtl for each.
Usually, if all of them use the same material and texture, you edit their .objdef files so all of them "point" to a single .mtl file, and you delete the others.

pedropp222:
Thank you very much, that's exactly what I wanted! Now I can make assets :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version