Outerra Engine > FAQ

Procedurally assembled buildings?

(1/3) > >>

Lesnikus:
Recently a tweet was published, which shows a screenshot of the city. The scale is impressive:
https://twitter.com/outerradev/status/935907128140816384

Are they the same as in Bern: just simple boxes with textures? Or these buildings are procedurally generated together with the interiors, as in the picture below?
https://twitter.com/outerradev/status/828972309969043456

Is it worth expecting that in the next year or two in the engine will be added cities with procedurally generated detailed buildings with real windows, doors and the ability to go inside?

I was very intrigued by the second screenshot and I look forward to the appearance of cities consisting of such detailed buildings. The opportunity to enter each house is amazing! You just realize my childhood dream, when I dreamed of an ideal game, in which there is EVERYTHING. If such cities are added, the GTA will no longer be needed  ^-^

cameni:
This has got several stages. The first one is the analysis and extraction of shape data, together with all attributes that can be usable for the generator (like zones).

As an intermediate step we are using a best fit algorithm to populate the shapes and generate a global building dataset, using a pre-made building model collection. That means the buildings are rather simple now, but of course the goal is to replace these with ones generated by a procedural generator, able to render all the needed LODs from the available sparse data.

It would be a shame not to generate the interiors eventually too, although I wonder how quickly the dream of being able to enter every single one fades ... although I remember thinking that it would be great (when playing the Mafia game back then).

2eyed:

--- Quote from: cameni on January 14, 2018, 06:10:13 am ---This has got several stages. The first one is the analysis and extraction of shape data, together with all attributes that can be usable for the generator (like zones).

As an intermediate step we are using a best fit algorithm to populate the shapes and generate a global building dataset, using a pre-made building model collection. That means the buildings are rather simple now, but of course the goal is to replace these with ones generated by a procedural generator, able to render all the needed LODs from the available sparse data.

It would be a shame not to generate the interiors eventually too, although I wonder how quickly the dream of being able to enter every single one fades ... although I remember thinking that it would be great (when playing the Mafia game back then).

--- End quote ---
The dream would fade quickly, if all rooms looked the same (as it is, to some extend, with the current landscapes).

Lesnikus:

--- Quote from: cameni on January 14, 2018, 06:10:13 am ---It would be a shame not to generate the interiors eventually too, although I wonder how quickly the dream of being able to enter every single one fades ...
--- End quote ---
Why does the dream fade? On that screenshot with procedurally assembled buildings, everything looks almost ready. Is it a problem with performance or something else?

As for the furniture, it is not necessary. Look at Arma 3- there all the buildings are empty, but everyone can enter. Players themselves fill houses with furniture in the mission editor, if they need it. The ability to enter each house is used in the gameplay of Arma 3: the ability to arrange a sniper position from any window or ambush in any apartment makes the gameplay more realistic, although the interiors look the same and do not have furniture. Furniture is good, but not necessarily.

--- Quote from: 2eyed on January 14, 2018, 08:13:17 am ---The dream would fade quickly, if all rooms looked the same (as it is, to some extend, with the current landscapes).

--- End quote ---
In my opinion, this is not a problem. Much in Outerra at this stage is not perfect, but it improves with time. The number of templates for generating interiors can be increased in the future. Better yet, if tools become are available to add custom generating templates from modders (similar to adding 3D models).

Jagerbomber:
I don't see "the inside of buildings looking identical" as an issue either.  It's still better to have it than to not.

But if it's some sort of technical issue, then of course I wouldn't know anything about that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version