Outerra Engine > FAQ

Procedurally assembled buildings?

<< < (2/3) > >>

cameni:
No I didn't mean a performance problem, just the variety of interiors being limited by algorithmic depth. But if you are primarily interested in it to extend the game play possibilities, then it may not matter that much.

Jagerbomber:
Yeah, I don't see lack of variety as more of a negative than having interiors is as a positive.

I mean, it can at least get colors or textures, right?

Now, it's probably a different beast, but I actually saw a GIF of a tech demo on Twitter the other day of a top-down (but 3D graphics) "dungeon" generator that was actually changing dimensions and changing/generating based on the changing dimensions in real-time.  The dungeon width and length would smoothly move outwards and inwards even with an actual controllable character in it.  Doors would be added and disappear, along with whole rooms, which would also expand and shrink (or at least the ones along the borders), and the rooms would start to fill with wooden boxes and barrels, but always leaving a minimum of 1 square/unit width for the character to move around in (with the top-down camera being fixed above the player).  But... this stuff is kind of old news, right?

2eyed:
Well, there are digital warriors and there are digital discoverer. I am the latter and I like variety most.

Lesnikus:

--- Quote from: cameni on January 14, 2018, 01:57:09 pm ---No I didn't mean a performance problem, just the variety of interiors being limited by algorithmic depth. But if you are primarily interested in it to extend the game play possibilities, then it may not matter that much.

--- End quote ---

In that case, I do not see a problem. Please, please, please add them to Outerra!! :)) If you are in doubt, discard them. Identical interiors do not look beautiful, but it allows you to use them in gameplay purposes. For example, as in Arma 3 (ambush in buildings) or 7 Days to Die (search loot, collection of resources in houses). Besides this, the idea that I can enter any house is pleasant, even realizing that all houses are the same  inside. I agree with Jagerbomber: "It's still better to have it than to not."

I'm tormented by the question: when will cities, roads and other data from OpenStreetMaps be added to the Outerra engine, will they be available for those who bought Anteworld alpha? Can we see this on our computers? My doubts arose when I remembered that Anteworld, according to his concept, talks about the settling of an empty abandoned planet.

--- Quote from: 2eyed on January 14, 2018, 02:48:09 pm ---Well, there are digital warriors and there are digital discoverer. I am the latter and I like variety most.

--- End quote ---

I see no reason why this will interfere with the discovering of the world. The player can ignore the opportunity to enter buildings, as if they did not have interiors. For this player nothing changes.

I hate game restrictions. Outerra seems like a project that tries to get rid of any restrictions and prohibitions: go wherever you want, before you the whole Earth! Even if the interior generator will create the same interior space, I still like it more than the prohibition to enter buildings. Because I love freedom. I love Outerra for her striving to give freedom

2eyed:

--- Quote from: Lesnikus on January 15, 2018, 10:15:04 am ---
I see no reason why this will interfere with the discovering of the world. The player can ignore the opportunity to enter buildings, as if they did not have interiors. For this player nothing changes.

I hate game restrictions. Outerra seems like a project that tries to get rid of any restrictions and prohibitions: go wherever you want, before you the whole Earth! Even if the interior generator will create the same interior space, I still like it more than the prohibition to enter buildings. Because I love freedom. I love Outerra for her striving to give freedom

--- End quote ---
With osm data billions of buildings around the globe can be rendered, but they will look generic and without additional data and artistic input it's probably not worth to enter them. Sure, every rivet of human's world could be modeled in a simulation, but where to stop?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version