Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: change in performance noted...  (Read 2983 times)

patmarrnc

change in performance noted...
« on: January 21, 2018, 09:12:15 am »

I've been using Outerra for several months on a daily basis, and for most of that time it has been rock solid, updating quickly even when I travel at high speed across the terrain.

Recently I started developing some bridges and houses in an area where somebody has created a lot of roads, and I've noticed that a bunch of weird things happen when the terrain has been altered with roads and memory devouring structures.

1) The screen updates very slowly, with large areas remaining low-res

2) sometimes in areas where a road has been lowered, my vehicle will rise into the air as though it is driving where the ground was before the road existed

3) Sometimes if I drive into an area that is still being drawn in low resolution, the ground will swallow my vehicle.

Am I correct in thinking that all of these symptoms come from too much infrastructure? If so, I'll just eliminate some or reduce poly count in my buildings.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: change in performance noted...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:58:23 am »

It can happen for several reasons, but not because of too many roads.

Most often it's because of 1080p terrain quality setting, which doesn't correctly adjust terrain cache limits, but sometimes the reason is a corrupt road that causes an excessive terrain refinement.

patmarrnc

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 01:44:16 pm »

is there a way to troubleshoot to see if a road has become corrupted? Better yet, is there a way to fix it?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 06:12:01 am »

Set debug_keys = true in eng.cfg and then press N key to show terrain mesh. If it's extensively refined somewhere, look for the roads there.

Alt+5 shows terrain cache stats, there will be a reddish letter somewhere if terrain limiter has problems.
What's your current terrain quality setting? Did you adjust it from default?

patmarrnc

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:19:18 am »

Set debug_keys = true in eng.cfg and then press N key to show terrain mesh. If it's extensively refined somewhere, look for the roads there.

Alt+5 shows terrain cache stats, there will be a reddish letter somewhere if terrain limiter has problems.
thank you!

What's your current terrain quality setting? Did you adjust it from default?
I was running at 1080p with no problems until I started building  stuff. After reading your message yesterday, I backed it off a notch, and last night it ran with no performance issues.

Being a newbie, it isn't hard to imagine that I've probably screwed up some existing roads by trying to make intersections more seamless or by widening rivers that run alongside a road.  (I have often wished for an UNDO button)

thanks for taking time to answer my questions. You have an amazing product here!