Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Planet not generating  (Read 3894 times)

DarthInvaderZim

Planet not generating
« on: February 04, 2018, 11:59:53 pm »

When I try to launch the game, and it's on the login screen, I get this error message (screenshotting wouldn't work so I'm typing it out):

ERROR: soundman: Open capture device failed:

And then when I continue on I get this error message while it's initializing the world:

ERROR: Job "map_source_loader" failed! (result: 1)

And when the initialization is done, no matter how long I wait I just see an featureless, flat, extremely bright white planet with no actual surface (you can just fall through the planet and keep getting teleported about 5000 feet or so back up into the air in a never ending loop until you stop), accompanied by a third and final message:

ERROR: timeout while waiting for env terrain refinement

After that, the planet just stays bright white without ever rendering terrain except for a couple of cases that seemed to just be pure luck. But even then if I venture too far off the world will stop generating.

At one point I was able to get the game to work when I started up the game and spawned in some flat area in Australia. There was also another time that I restarted the game after roaming around aimlessly since all I could see was the sky above and the white color resembling the planet. The location I was at did generate, but it was out in the middle of the ocean. After flying on for a bit the ocean ended and just became white again. I've also tried running the game as administrator just in case that works but it doesn't help.

Also, I have already tried reinstalling Outerra but that didn't solve the issue either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read through this post!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:02:41 am by DarthInvaderZim »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Planet not generating
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 01:23:19 am »

Seems to be a problem with pre-installed terrain data and new download server.
Please delete the contents of data/earth2 folder (in your data dir) except the planet.cfg file there, that should help until we resolve the issue.

DarthInvaderZim

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 06:12:38 pm »

I was about to try that suggestion and then the game just now fixed itself.. I still get the first error but not the other two. Thanks though for trying to help.

Bob425

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 06:18:47 pm »

I also get the error "ERROR: soundman: Open capture device failed:", but there appears to be no adverse effect on running OA

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 03:18:52 am »

The problem was that the new server got an older version of the data, and the program didn't want to downgrade. I uploaded the correct version so it now should work.