Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alien planet Earth  (Read 18762 times)

necro

• google+ Blog
Alien planet Earth
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 09:49:53 am »

yap, i saw the pictures some months before. Does erics shader decrease the performance significantly? Eric did also some other incredible stuff like water and vectorbased roads. It seems that you are using his techniques >_>

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Alien planet Earth
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 10:14:02 am »

The shaders are heavier, that's why I implemented it differently, sacrificing some minor effects. O'Neal's shaders had many difficult corner cases so I was constantly looking at how to make it better.

As for his other work, there can be only some generic similarities. Water is done differently; he can't do shore waves that way and I wanted them or nothing :)

Vector roads are entirely different implementation-wise from the ones in Outerra, but that mainly relates to different architectures. Later he also added some fractal refinement inspired by Outerra, so who knows maybe it's all converging into the same thing :)

necro

• google+ Blog
Alien planet Earth
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 10:29:29 am »

You are right. I never saw such good waves before. Yours are excellent. Actually you should write a book :P I would buy it
I implemented O Neills shader in the blender game engine, and it was very laggy in blender2.5 - same code on 2.49 was very fast. But surely i would never reach performanceregions as outerra actual does.

I wonder how an orbit-lift would look like in your engine. I guess, quite cool :P Things which are tasting the lower orbit are still missed in every engine >_> Arent they attractive for you :P? (even because they could be produced generically)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Alien planet Earth
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 10:38:39 am »

Hah, no time to write a book. I'm glad when I can write a blog, and frankly, I'm often using it as a reference when later fixing or changing stuff, grumbling why I didn't bother to go into more detail there :)

Do you mean a space elevator?

necro

• google+ Blog
Alien planet Earth
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 11:10:15 am »

yap that was the word i was looking for. Space elevator.
Pages: 1 [2]