Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Previous version: 17.1.0.11105 (32-bit)  (Read 180721 times)

2eyed

Re: Latest version: 17.1.0.9830
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 10:02:46 am »

Congratz to the devs! Your hard work payed off: Outerra looks better than ever. I particularly like the improved (and tweakable) water rendering. If we'd now have additional scene reflecting surfaces it would be terrific.

Lewin

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 10:11:42 am »

Very very good! The global lakes and roads are something that has long been lacking in the Outerra. Thanks for the update!

2eyed

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 10:33:38 am »

Since there's still the "Enable Rift" check box, I tried with my trusty ol rift.  Gives a weird result, as if the (left/right) views are inverted or something.

PRiME

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 07:56:40 pm »

Is Outerra/Anteworld going to move to VulkanAPI sometime? seems like this would be ideal for it!

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 09:00:10 pm »

Is Outerra/Anteworld going to move to VulkanAPI sometime? seems like this would be ideal for it!

Hi! Here is a thread about that:
https://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3524.msg40362#msg40362
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

CreteGreece

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 11:23:13 pm »

Thanks to this update, I can build cities much easier, and lakes are no longer grey swathes of land

MachoTaco

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 03:25:46 am »

This update is incredible so far and I thought it would be good to add a bit of feedback.

1. Are you going to add walking trails and small paths to the map, such as the trails that weave there way up mountains in the alps or the ones in Yosemite?
2. The snow texture is a bit too bright and overtakes the rock texture a bit too much.
Example: https://imgur.com/a/3nGAL8p
3. Some rivers are a bit too small making them look like streams where they should be a bit wider.

This update is incredible and alot of fun to mess around in. The future of Outerra is bright and I can't wait to see where it goes next

josem75

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 05:29:46 am »

This update exceeded my expectations. Lakes are very accurate, textures and lakes floors are great. Rivers now go to sea normally. Water is improved a lot.
Terrains and rocks are now more refined too. Its a lot of diference.

There are things not mentioned in the list from cameni improved too. But for example. Now i can play in 1080 terrain without almost no problems even in big mountains places like Switzerland. SO it seems now all are more optimized.
Its not related with frames, but with blurry things.
For example, in Switzerland before, playing at 1080, roads get blurry easily, and not get full resolution until you was really really close (and sometimes never).
Now ALL roads looks at full resolution even from far, and while are a lot of roads.
Also Rocks render at full most of the times even at 1080 terrain. Its a huge diference for me.

I hope Cameni can confirm this improved optimization. I remember when we was talking about to quit 1080 resolution becase creating lots of problems. Now i dont see those problems in most of the parts of the world.

The only problems i found is with houses. Not about framerate but about sttuttering. Some stops during the fly.

Great work. Historic global render engine

josem75

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 05:38:29 am »

This update is incredible so far and I thought it would be good to add a bit of feedback.

1. Are you going to add walking trails and small paths to the map, such as the trails that weave there way up mountains in the alps or the ones in Yosemite?
2. The snow texture is a bit too bright and overtakes the rock texture a bit too much.
Example: https://imgur.com/a/3nGAL8p
3. Some rivers are a bit too small making them look like streams where they should be a bit wider.

This update is incredible and alot of fun to mess around in. The future of Outerra is bright and I can't wait to see where it goes next

Yes you are right. This version seems like terrain is a bit more burned, and lost some of the contrast had before. This is (for me) the only cons in the update.
Apart from the lack of contrast, which make terrain a bit more monotonous, a problem is having rocks almost totally white. So as you showed in your picture, white rocks and snow mix and you dont know what is what.

A thing i do since long time is modify Snow file in textures (number 15 in terrain textures). I get photoshop dds plugin, open image (save old first with other name) and put image variations, and get the image darker like 3 times and blue like 2-3 times too.
Then you have a less white snow, more blue, more "dirty" for me more natural. And now you can distinguish between white rocks and snow. SO you can see in some mountains a lot of you see white was rocks, and a bit parts was snow.
Its clearly a part which can be improved.
This problem with white rocks i dont know how would can fix. Maybe with a limit in how much light rocks absorb from sun, so neever get at a point to burn and get white. Also maybe changing a bit rock texture to something a bit more brown or darker. But i assume is coveral related with the terrain color.
Normally in top mountains the 500 meters textures get white coz was snow mountains from satelite photos. So rocks take the color of the texture in those points ending in white rocks, and finishing in burn rocks with all the sun absortion. So i dont know how this would be fix, maybe retouch those white points in main 500 meters textures mountains, and make a fix getting darker and adding some variations.

I think can be tricked somwhow. And the next step after all the great aditions in this update would be improve this 500 meters texture and get some more detailed.
Then engine would be something so perfect..

PD: If you make this trick with snow, you will discover 90% of what you see white, was pure rocks.
Snow in this version by default is configured very high altitude.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:46:54 am by josem75 »

josem75

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 06:01:28 am »

For example:

https://imgur.com/a/9rhqsTG

https://imgur.com/a/Z0W1kPh

There you can see white is really rocks. its a pity they are burned, because now rocks looks better than ever. But being white loose all their detail. (Same with snow).
For example when you see Everest place, you can see white variations, then see ways and "roads" of ice etc. But when all is burned in white we loose all this detail.

Some more examples rocks burned, this in Himalayas: (i signal Snow so all the rest is rocks. and you can see snow diferent coz of my trick retouch texture in photoshop making snow much more dark and blue):

https://imgur.com/a/j07xIWn

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:12:46 am by josem75 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 08:08:21 am »

This is indeed a problem with snow detection and removal algorithm and the insufficient quality of input imagery. I think in this version I disabled the snow suppression code which moved the rock color to grey in areas where it was covered by snow in the imagery, but not actually because of the snow covered mountains but because the same code also causes washed out colors in other barren areas like deserts. I guess there must be a better compromise, I'll have to make the filter narrower and invest some more time into tuning it in various places.

We are also acquiring better imagery data - not just in terms of resolution, but also with regards to the quality and additional infrared bands usable to determine vegetation. However, it's a huge task, there are many other problems coming with it that need to be addressed now.

There are also lithology data that we want to use to change rock patterns and textures, once we find a good way to do that procedurally.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 08:19:06 am »

If they are defined in OSM they can be also added here. I think the main reason why we restricted the import was that there are also walk paths on parking lots and such things, and sometimes they are marked wrongly or it's hard to differentiate which ones to use.

That's also one of the problems - how to deduce the width if it's not defined in OSM data, and it's too small to appear in satellite water mask. But it can also be a rendering problem, if you click on the river in road/river editor and the width is significantly smaller than what the way points show.

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 10:53:24 am »

Hi Brano!

Honestly I am very disappointed with this update. You still stick to the OSM junk that causes such an error:
Already at that time MFSX tried to implement this OSM junk in and that failed because this junk is immature.
OK, sponge over it. :facepalm:

I would have seen more in the direction of JSBSim and user friendly FM programming interface as well:

http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/aeromatic2.html

where you can enter all the Airdynamic data not only easier, but also more understandable, and where you can also in real time the benefits
observe and correct if necessary. Instead, you still have to load 2-3 extra softs to get into the annals of JSBSim
get on board to find out what this or that means. Personally, I find that really bad and confusing. Besides, it would be for all users
have been much more useful than seeing these fully broken roads from OSM Scrap. Even hand-made roads look and feel much better
still passable. It would also be more useful if you can save the made map parts to exchange it with the other users. This
Personally, I find it much more useful than fumbling around with the OSM junk and hoping it will work out somehow. It works out
not because the OSM data is scrap!

As for the rivers (especially Rhine, since I live there) I was positively surprised. Have the short piece (v. Mannheim to Koblenz) looked up
and found it better than it was in the previous patch. Therefore, thank you very much!

That's my 5cent to this update.

"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

Bob425

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 12:21:50 pm »

I am still unable to get the new version to run.
I have re-installed the old version (8141) and that loads and runs perfectly.
With the new version (9830) I get the following error message:-

Exception:open GL error:
shader compilation failed (:objshaders)

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1
NVIDA GeForce  GTS450 with the latest Drivers.

Can anyone suggest what may be causing this fatal error?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 12:28:29 pm »

Can you send your eng.log to support@outerra.com?
Also, did you do a clean install when installing the drivers? I even got it running on a 9800 GT so it's surprising the drivers for your GPU can't handle it ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14