Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Previous version: 17.1.0.11105 (32-bit)  (Read 180690 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Latest version: 17.1.0.9830
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 12:52:08 pm »

Honestly I am very disappointed with this update. You still stick to the OSM junk that causes such an error:
Already at that time MFSX tried to implement this OSM junk in and that failed because this junk is immature.

No idea what are you referring to. That we haven't yet fully implemented support for bridges, overpasses, or that there are occasional errors in road connections or that the lanes do not match? Some are errors in OSM but the larger part is our missing support for many features.

Anyway, you can turn off the roads in settings, world -> datasets if they bother you so much.

JSBSim and user friendly FM programming interface

Well, that's not going to happen. Why would we lose time on that if there already exists a tool that allows you to configure FDMs for JSBSim? We are making a world renderer/simulator and not a JSBSim flight sim, and JSBSim is just one simulation core used there as an example. Even aircraft developers we talked to often want to use their own simulation engine with their models ...

If someone wants to develop an in-game UI for a FDM configurator - no problem, but I'm 99% certain it won't be us doing it, that would really be wasting our resources on something we don't have much experience with anyway.

Besides, it would be for all users have been much more useful than seeing these fully broken roads from OSM Scrap. Even hand-made roads look and feel much better still passable. It would also be more useful if you can save the made map parts to exchange it with the other users. This Personally, I find it much more useful than fumbling around with the OSM junk and hoping it will work out somehow. It works out not because the OSM data is scrap!

As for the rivers (especially Rhine, since I live there) I was positively surprised. Have the short piece (v. Mannheim to Koblenz) looked up and found it better than it was in the previous patch. Therefore, thank you very much!

Beware, you might be thanking OSM here! :)

Even if OSM data is often problematic, I don't see many usable options. Commercial navigation data costs are too high, manual coverage is insufficient. What MFSX tried and failed is fairly irrelevant.

Bob425

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 01:16:41 pm »

Can you send your eng.log to support@outerra.com?
Also, did you do a clean install when installing the drivers? I even got it running on a 9800 GT so it's surprising the drivers for your GPU can't handle it ...

eng.log file sent to you by e-mail.
NVIDA installer removes the previous drivers prior to the new installation.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 01:21:47 pm »

Thanks. It seems that the drivers use a different internal path with 450 GTS card and cannot compile one of our shaders.

Nvidia drivers have an option for clean install there, normally they do not remove all settings unless you chose that one. Anyway, this looks like a driver problem for which we might find a workaround, but we need to get our hands on one such GPU first, or maybe there's a way to emulate it - will check.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 02:27:52 pm »

Beware, you might be thanking OSM here! :)

Even if OSM data is often problematic, I don't see many usable options. Commercial navigation data costs are too high, manual coverage is insufficient. What MFSX tried and failed is fairly irrelevant.

Maybe it'll come around when we get bridges or sooner, but even without bridges being needed, the on/off-ramp road connections to highways can be pretty weird around here.  =D  The ramps spiking way upward at the edge of the highway/merge while the highway stays below and such (even without bridges being need for the ramp).

But also, the reason I hope for bridges is that around here we have a High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane that is almost entirely a long windy bridge for some ridiculous reason.  That'll be a tricky one.  But along the lines of crazy ramps connecting highways anyways.  I don't know how you'll ever pull those off automatically.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:37:26 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 03:05:52 pm »

I've seen HOV lanes when I was in US (two times in different parts), but I have no idea what you mean by "long windy bridges" ???

Romanito

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 04:21:49 pm »

Amazing job on this new release!

I'm having an issue though: I did a fresh install and made a quick test with my Oculus DK2 but it seems like the left and right eye cameras are switched. It shows for close objects (plane cockpit for instance).

Thanks for your work!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 04:26:32 pm »

Yes, for some reason the eyes switched or the projection got inverted, even though the Oculus code shouldn't have changed at all in this version. Investigating ...

patmarrnc

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 05:09:34 pm »

wow, great to see that the new version has arrived! Thanks to everyone involved!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:09:09 pm by patmarrnc »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 09:43:05 pm »

I've seen HOV lanes when I was in US (two times in different parts), but I have no idea what you mean by "long windy bridges" ???

Like, it separates individually from the rest of the highway up into its own bridge where, along the way, it also weaves over and under other highway crossings and ramps.  It's odd.  And I'd say probably a big waste of money. lol  Originally they were supposed to be for vehicles with at least 4 people in them only, but nobody used it.  It was quickly lowered to 2... and still nobody uses it.  Because, you know, most people are still driving to work alone.  ::)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

patmarrnc

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2018, 10:16:14 am »

I noticed after installing the new version, communities that I had built in the previous version are gone. Is there any way to get that stuff back?
In case it matters, I installed the data on a larger hard drive, then copied most of my customizations to the new location. But I don't know where the data for my communities was located. Maybe its been replaced by the new roads? 

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 11:21:02 am »

You had them in cache/earth2/... and copied the content to cache/earth7/... in new version?
You can also have both planets active.
Cache has priority over world vector data.

Mottomi

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 01:07:37 pm »

Great job on the update!
I loved seeing all the roads and WiP building footprints!
One bug I was seeing is that on my monitor setup (4k center + 2 1080P left and right) the program shows up on the center and right screen but not on the left. It would be nice if there was an option to pick which monitor(s) to use if multi-monitors are supported.

patmarrnc

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2018, 01:16:39 pm »

You had them in cache/earth2/... and copied the content to cache/earth7/... in new version?
You can also have both planets active.
Cache has priority over world vector data.
I copied some other stuff, but not cache. Thanks! I'll do that now....

ziagg

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2018, 01:30:34 pm »

Laaaaaaaakes!! Yippee.

Too bad there are still trees on steep mountain slopes...

But this is an awesome update nonetheless!

patmarrnc

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2018, 04:10:45 pm »

OK, I copied the cache folder to my new installation drive, and now I have my communities back! But there are some differences... most notably trees that float in mid-air, and one growing in the middle of my bridge. Is there a way to delete trees on an individual basis?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14