Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: more viewpoint options  (Read 9837 times)

Bob425

Re: more viewpoint options
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 04:13:41 pm »

That video is very impressive. almost as impressive as a riderless bike!

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 04:29:56 pm »

Thanks. Unfortunatey the "drive-by" camera mode creates a camera that is not really fixed with respect to ground. It is so only if the vehicle doesn't steer. Steering moves the camera "sideways" by a distance =  (steering angle*distance of camera from bike) due to a "lever effect". Therefore it is quite hard to drive curves in "drive-by camera mode" and the view is jumping around a little bit too much when steering. At least when using the keyboard to steer. Maybe I'd better try with my steering wheel. In any case this is only a "workaround" which is not perfect at all. The camera should be placed using World coordinates not by using offsets in the vehicle coordinate system as then steering rotates the latter reference system and so moves the camera with respect to the world.  Unfortunately I don't know how to achieve this.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 05:27:45 pm by fly77 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 04:56:23 pm »

I tried to slighty optimize the position of the camera (a little higher (z) to avoid going below ground and to have a better anticipation of coming curves, and a little more sideways (x) from the bike. Keeping the map (M) open at max zoom also helps to anticipate coming curves so that I can slow down in time. Moreover assigning "Toggle seat" in the outerr menu /controls /advanced seetings /ot  instead of "V" key (I used CTRL+V but V alone works the same) a "middle mousebutton press" switching back and forth between cameras can be made on the fly as the hand needs to stay on the mouse anyway. So when "unknow" is ahead press the middle mouse button to switch to more useful steering camera views.

Code: [Select]
 this.set_fps_camera_pos({x:3, y:30-distance, z:1.8});
      if (distance>2*30){

When used with my drivingwheel camera movement and bike steering are much more smooth now and it seems to me that it becomes quite practible even to drive around constantly using the "drive-by" camera mode...of course its use for driving is not ideal but for cinema scenic effect its quite spectacular indeed. Just one thing: I noticed on the map actually the arrow reports the position of the camera not of the bike and as the two in this case do not coincide this is somewhat confusing.

Here you can download the updated version of bike1.       https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfhv8kd031fpeah/bike1.otx?dl=0

Before installing please backup the previous version you may eventually have installed allready.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:36:06 pm by fly77 »

patmarrnc

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 06:20:26 pm »

another workaround to try:
I've noticed that when I accidentally hit ENTER while driving, it releases the vehicle from my control, and it continues on its own, while I am free to navigate elsewhere.

You could get your bike moving in a straight line, position your camera off to the side for a drive by shot, then press ENTER so the vehicles movement no longer affects the camera. That way you can have full control of your camera (but no control over the bike). For a short scene in a video, it could yield a usable snippet. Or not.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 06:26:33 pm »

certainly one can try but its probably a matter of luck to get everything set up right. I have uploaded the new version of bike1 (backup the older version) above , you can try if its useful to get video snippets. As you never abandon the bike "on its own" you can retry easily many times (just as you driving a real bike and having a cameraman filming you driving by). Have fun.
Pages: 1 [2]