Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Turning lanes, Medians, and other questions about roads  (Read 16221 times)

EmaRod45

Turning lanes, Medians, and other questions about roads
« on: September 27, 2018, 05:42:09 pm »

Hello fellow Outerra users!

Let me start off by introducing myself. My name is Manny, and I recently have been interested in this Anteworld project. I enjoy the beautiful views, the designing, the modding and editing.. the entire simulation itself. I am constantly logging in to see of any updates on this simulator. But, I feel like my needs may not be taken into consideration unless my voice is heard in this forum.

Suggestions that I would like answers to:
I have spent hours on outerra detailing all the roads in my city, and i have come to some not-so-urgent but bothersome problems.
1.) When editing roads, there is no way to show turning lanes as a texture on the ground, nor is there any way to show bicycl lanes. (http://www.bikede.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/schem_1.jpg)
2.) I have tried everthing to mimic a median turning lane, but it is trouble some, and I would like to see it soon on the road tools. (https://driversprep.com/news/wp-content/cache/2016/12/two-way-left.jpg)
3.) I would like to be able to add stop sign lines on roads that have an intersection with a stop sign or stop light. (http://www.accessitaly.com/image.axd?picture=2010%2f3%2fStopPavement.jpg)
4.) This is one of the most trouble some things I have came accross while detailing 99.99% of my city roads. The median lanes.(https://s3.amazonaws.com/classconnection/823/flashcards/9553823/jpg/yellow-line-traffic-symbol-15380731-154E0C4769147BE3078.jpg)

General Road questions:
Could there be a mod or update I am missing? I am sure someone has already mentioned some things above. I understand textures are virtually irreplaceable, but is there a way someone (developer or modder), that could make these things happen?

Thanks! I hope to hear from someone soon!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Turning lanes, Medians, and other questions about roads
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:19:31 am »

There are too many different road marking styles in the world, and we are only iteratively adding support for less common ones.

When editing roads, there is no way to show turning lanes as a texture on the ground, nor is there any way to show bicycl lanes.

Not sure we will support the lane symbols directly or as an additional vector painting layer. Remains to be seen what we can do with the next format upgrade and a change in how individual road types are handled. Also applies to stop sign lines.

I have tried everthing to mimic a median turning lane, but it is trouble some, and I would like to see it soon on the road tools.

Yeah it's not so common here in Europe, and current road format structure doesn't have any space for median lanes, or in fact median anything (point 4), even though various forms of median strips other than a double line can be occasionally found here. Coincidentally we are currently working on defining the next iteration of the road system and formats, and this can be added into road profiles.

The format is being extended to allow handling:
  • sidewalks
  • parking lanes
  • generated features along the road, like guard rails, markers, poles ...
  • padding
  • roads that generate tunnels, bridges, overpasses
  • wear

The editor will be also a bit different, with separate road profiles and styles, some things like road surface type or lane and border width set to a constant value in profile.

patmarrnc

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:13:02 pm »

one possible solution to the problem of having many possible road designs throughout the world:
the ability to apply custom textures to a road segment. That way we could create any pattern and apply it to roads or maybe even parking lots

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 02:43:03 am »

Roads are procedural and there are too many combinations already. We are probably going to make some parts of it looked up from textures during the generation, like marking styles, but there are still too many combinations, issues with clipping etc.

EmaRod45

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 04:55:09 pm »

Hello Cameni, I meant to et back to you on this post a little sooner.

Thank you so much for your response! I am glad you and your team are still under development with this product. Thanks again for a quick response. Ill be awaiting these features on anteworld!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:08:26 am by cameni »