Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Unlimited Graphics Data Tech  (Read 34644 times)

Seth

Re: Unlimited Graphics Data Tech
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 05:25:01 pm »

A dev kit might be out soon, according to Game Informer.
Since they say they can convert objects from polygons to atom, does that make it more likely that it could come to the Outerra engine?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/11/22/exploring-unlimited-detail.aspx

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Euclideon-Unlimited-Engine-Destroys-Unreal-CryEngine-With-Voxel-Atoms-37291.html
I know what it does, not how it does it.

PRiME

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 05:58:17 pm »

Have high hopes for this technology, look forward to future updates. My main concerns are Animation, Deformation abilities, shadowing (which I think they solved), and Storage Space required (which in todays bluray+ world I doubt will be a issue, especially when considering procedural systems can be applied to reduce datasets.).

Allot of people don't like these guys, his voice doesn't help him out. And yes I feel we are sort of trapped in a infinite polygon universe were its all rigged to sell you a %30 better video card each 3-6months X infinity. If this tech ever picks up they won't be selling cards every 3-6 months!!! More like every 1-3yrs,   hint hint..

zuluknob

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 03:07:46 am »

Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

zuluknob

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 08:53:15 am »

Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 04:15:25 am »

Have high hopes for this technology, look forward to future updates. My main concerns are Animation, Deformation abilities, shadowing (which I think they solved), and Storage Space required (which in todays bluray+ world I doubt will be a issue, especially when considering procedural systems can be applied to reduce datasets.).

Allot of people don't like these guys, his voice doesn't help him out. And yes I feel we are sort of trapped in a infinite polygon universe were its all rigged to sell you a %30 better video card each 3-6months X infinity. If this tech ever picks up they won't be selling cards every 3-6 months!!! More like every 1-3yrs,   hint hint..

Seems a possible chem. base in the engine would be possible :P ... like theyr way of approaching the simulations ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

PRiME

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 04:26:39 am »

Already today the UD tech can be used for static objects and backdrops in conjunction with polygons. Lets say if it was going to take a long time to make the system dynamic while keep performance. Just ask yourself how many games have static non-changing objects in them? All do, imagine the amount of performance freed up if they used UD for that while dynamic stuff can be used with polygon system on top.

I think the UD team have it sussed however, just saying even if you don't believe its that great or its been done before, then at least you see you could render unlimited detail in backdrops and static objects without massive performance hit. The current Voxel type systems everyone is saying what this is has a MAJOR performance budget limit, 'MAJOR' .

zuluknob

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 10:22:03 am »

it doesn't use pollys when it draws the scene only uses them when they want to convert a object to atom data. models aren't stored as pollys either. so, no they aren't using both at the same time. atomontage does but has limited number of polly models/scene size.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

PRiME

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 11:43:04 am »

That's not what I said sorry.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 08:25:11 am »

For reference, a g+ article about OT and Euclideon. In comments it turned to Euclideon vs. the world ::)

https://plus.google.com/109028905526370179147/posts/HokEWPiGxz8

Jagerbomber

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 09:25:41 am »

You mean Will vs You?  :P

That's not fair... You've got a helmet.  ;)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 09:33:07 am »

But he's got unlimited beliefs! :D

lookastdu

• cars <3
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 10:11:36 am »

Haha, nice & congratz for you! ;)

Personally, I believe that this technology in next years could be useful in some cases (such as small, very detailed scenes), but I don't expect that it will be something 'revolutionary' for all computer graphics world. Time will tell.

That's not fair... You've got a helmet.  ;)
You killed me with this. xD  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:14:07 am by lookastdu »

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »

I watched the whole tech demo and was very skeptical due to the fact that he never explained how it actually worked. After some hours of research, I am still rather skeptical of this man and his company. I much prefer the way that you two do it; I think the more open the development team is, the more trust and support they garner. I didn't like his cookie example, because sometimes I just want to look in the oven to make sure the cookies aren't burning. It was a poor analogy.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

PRiME

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 11:38:53 pm »

Well he does not want to show you how it works. Can you guess exactly why that might be for a yet to release revolutionary technology? If he showed everyone exactly how it works then he would be out of business, mark my words.

Because you must remember a few things, 1) this is a graphics rendering technology, you could put outerra engine in it (with heavy modifications but ultimately its just a rendertech). So consider it a API like D3D and OpenGL. 2) These guys have received funding from AU government and have allowed people to come in and check their stuff out.

I believe they have something genuine and am surprised so many people feel threatened by it, kinda a shame as the concept he has described IS THE FUTURE. He explained that if we keep increasing polygon count it would become close to a voxel point (using word as example) making the concept of drawing lines to create objects redundant anyway, these guys are just going 'screw that lets just go the point object system and be done with it!'

However I am also concerned about the ability to animate and manipulate the point cloud data in large scale (at least until PC's are powerful enough, which we are almost there I think).

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 12:02:20 am »

I do not feel "threatened" by it, I am just calling the man out on being intentionally vague and rather misleading. Those are two attributes which I do not like in developers, for rather obvious reasons. If they do manage to overcome the large obstacles associated with voxels, I would not be offended, but count me slightly skeptical for the time being.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4