Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: physics with outerra  (Read 3609 times)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
physics with outerra
« on: December 22, 2019, 02:05:09 pm »

I am trying to play with the physics of collisions in outerra and would like that the physics simulation did not stop after some short time..just for the purpose of experimenting. Is there a setting that sets the maximum time that object physics is kept "alive" ?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: physics with outerra
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 10:35:56 am »

That's the Bullet physics putting objects into sleep after some time without changes (under a threshold). I don't think we have a way to disable that, other than maybe compiling another bullet dll where it is disabled via setSleepingThresholds or something such.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 10:52:00 am »

I see. Another related question is that collision boxes seem to be somewhat "penetrable" if enough force is applied between objects or collision speed is high..don't know. In my video here I made a ring off overlapping collisionboxes inside the rings and still I manage to "break" the chain by hitting it with a barrel hard enough. Is there a way to make the collision boxes "less penetrable" ?

andfly

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 06:35:01 pm »

Wonderful   8) :o
Congratulations !
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 02:40:02 am »

Yes..realtime complex physics simulations..not bad !

Eönwë

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 01:09:58 am »

Is there a way to make the collision boxes "less penetrable" ?

Mithril rings should help. <G>

Good work, BTW.

It seems that the Middle-Earth project is dead.   

Do you know what's going on with the engine?

[/quote]

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 03:19:13 am »

It seems that the DEM terrain for outerra can still be downloaded from here. https://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=1491.0
But there are no trees and grass. Am I doing something wrong or its it just the terrain format that has changed and is incompatible with the DEM terrain? Don't know
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 03:31:27 am by fly77 »

Occams Razer

• Freelance Graphic and Game Designer, 3D Artist
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 11:50:32 am »

I see. Another related question is that collision boxes seem to be somewhat "penetrable" if enough force is applied between objects or collision speed is high..don't know. In my video here I made a ring off overlapping collisionboxes inside the rings and still I manage to "break" the chain by hitting it with a barrel hard enough. Is there a way to make the collision boxes "less penetrable" ?

Unfortunately, that's a pretty common phenomenon in collision simulation. If enough force is applied, any given body's newly acquired velocity might sometimes be enough to push it to the opposing side of an obstacle. The most thorough solution is to to increase the frequency of the calculations, but that's something that would have to be done on the engine and would come with a performance cost.

For you, the best options are to either make the chain's links thicker (collision mesh, not necessarily the visual model), or take the smoke-and-mirrors approach and just use hinge constraints to connect the links (less physically accurate, but you get more control over chain breakage, it's potentially infinitely stronger, and you save on some physics calculations).

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 12:39:36 pm »

" hinge constraints "  great idea. But how can I tell outerra to set up  such a constraint ?
With collision boxes that I can draw and associated to the 3D model in blender and then export to outerra , it automatically performs the physics calculation as outerra uses bullet physics on the model.
But how to "set up" a hinge constraint in outerra ? I thought of using global variables to define the position of each elements hinge and then apply forces between these points but that seems quite clumsy

Occams Razer

• Freelance Graphic and Game Designer, 3D Artist
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 05:51:42 pm »

" hinge constraints "  great idea. But how can I tell outerra to set up  such a constraint ?
With collision boxes that I can draw and associated to the 3D model in blender and then export to outerra , it automatically performs the physics calculation as outerra uses bullet physics on the model.
But how to "set up" a hinge constraint in outerra ? I thought of using global variables to define the position of each elements hinge and then apply forces between these points but that seems quite clumsy

Truth be told, I have no idea. I only have limited experience with doing such things in game engines, and none in Outerra. On a whim, I'd say there's no officially-supported way to do so at the moment. But multiplayer and air combat have been worked into the engine by modders in the last year or two, so who am I to say that it can't be done?