Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: runway lights for outerra  (Read 8399 times)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
runway lights for outerra
« on: December 11, 2018, 11:13:31 am »

Most recent updated version at the end of the post

As a passionate flightsimmer I found that what was missing in outerra are runway lights.
While it has been already done by langedon https://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2705.msg38796#msg38796   I found his mod was somewhat difficult to place correctly on many runways, especially those that are not really level. Also javascript needs to be edited to adapt it to different runway widths and lengths.

Here is an alternative solution : it is a set of individual tarmac-lights, red, yellow, white and blue colored that can be placed in the scenery editor at will on any runway (or for the matter of fact everywhere you like as coloured lamps) to "assemble" any runway lighting system...with the only limitation that the number of light used should be limited in number possibly below 50-100 depending on the system you have.

download from here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8tcuv3ve95qf7m4/AACaetxaVIGtRkvkwiyIv4hLa?dl=0

here a demonstrative video of what you can do with the lights. Unfortunately I do not understand which colors need to be placed in which location and so this is only for demonstrative purposes

instructions:

install by clicking on the "tarmac-light.otx" file.

To use the light open the scenery editor inside outerra pressing F7 key
Under "assets" search for "tarmac-light" drag and drop the lamp of desired colour to the desired location in the scenery and manipulate in the usual way
as for placing buildings and other objects to orient and adjust the height. Close the scenery editor.

In "ufo mode" go near to a lamp that you have placed.

To switch on a lamp you need to go "inside" it.
This is because lamps are using the vehicle script and thus behave as vehicles except that they don't move.

To enter the lamp go near to the pole. Press "enter". The lamp normally will have switched on. 
If not it is because you have approach the lamp from the wrong direction and/or are too near or too far.You need to practice.

exit the lamp pressing the "enter" key as you do normally for exiting vehicles

press key  "J" to increase light intensity

press key "K" to decrease light intensity

To switch the lamp off again: enter the lamp once again then press L. the lamp will switch off

eventually by pressing L again the lamp will switch on again if desired

exit the lamp pressing pressing the "enter" key.

-----

if many lamps have been placed in the scenery editor, once they have been switched on individually as described above
they can subsequently be switched on or off alltogether by just entering one of them.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:12:21 pm by fly77 »

aWac9

Re: runway lights for outerra - working !
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 05:34:39 pm »

it looks good, very funny ... with these things we can guide ourselves at night and land ...
Thank you

:)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 03:54:36 am »

Thanks. This is of course only the starting version for runway lights. Maybe I should add some flashing lights as well and bidirection red green lights  like this. Also shape of lights probably is different from what I did. My only fear is that framerate drops a lot as you place more and more lights. I will try and see if I can make emissive textures. At the moment I don't know how to do them. Any help is welcome !

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:57:08 am by fly77 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 05:51:35 am »

Added green light as well..redownload from above. Not directional so far.

aWac9

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 01:54:12 pm »

the lights in this individual way also give a lot of play, since you can use them for different landscapes.
for example.

to enjoy it better you can click to the right of the youtube video where it says zoom, that is, press F
 ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 01:59:35 pm by aWac9 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 02:29:09 pm »

Great use of the lights! Cape canaveral seems the right place for such  "futuristic" lighting.😉

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 07:35:49 am »

Added light intensity regulation:

press key  "J" to increase light intensity

press key "K" to decrease light intensity

redownload from above

aWac9

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 11:36:03 am »

airport lighting " Bora Bora "

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
Re: runway lights for outerra
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 03:37:41 pm »

Emissive runway lighting system

After familiarization with emissive textures I found that they are well suited for runway lighting in outerra. In comparison with "vehicle-script-based" spot-lights or point-lights they have several important advantages: first you can place as many as you like without killing the framerate, second once placed in the scenery editor they light up automatically in the dark without needing the user to switch them on.

A set of elements  that can be used to adapt to any runway, taxiway by placing them in the scenery editor can be downloaded from here:

Download from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jowm1cz3sfiezir/AADj1JdDMGptyM9ymblAdv8wa?dl=0

Elements so far comprise the basic lights to assemble runway lighting systems

- runway end lights (red/green): bidirectional red/green: red indicating runway end, green indicating start of runway

- runway edge lights (white): short and long segments of lights to adapt to runway. Avoid placing lights across taxiways as they will collide with taxing airplanes, use long and short segments placed to avoid taxiways entry/exits on runway

- taxiway lights (blue): long (for straight paths) and short segments (for curves)

In the future I will add some more colors (yellow and red ones) as well as possibly a sequence flashing light to better indicate the runway direction to landing planes

Here is a demonstrative video (note that the runway edge lights and some colors do not respect the final version which is improved with respect to the video, see photo below)

download the following self-installing files and click each one to install it one by one

runway-end-lights.otx
runway-edge-long.otx
runway-edge-short.otx
taxiway-edge-long.otx
taxiway-edge-short.otx

open scenery editor (key F7)

under assets search for "light"

you will see different icons that represent the above 5 types of lights.
Place as usual in the scenery along the  runway and taxiways rotating and adjusting height as needed.
For runway endlights it might be apropriate to level the terrain under the light after placement.

Lights will automatically illuminate in the dark as they are build using emissive textures.

A short instructive video of how to rapidly set-up runway lights is here

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:58:45 pm by fly77 »

aWac9

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 05:02:20 pm »

:D
well done fly77. Congratulations. you are a persistent and constant person until you achieve your objectives ..
Thank you very much for your time, and for sharing this magnificent work, was something that was missing in ourterra ,,
I was thinking if this system is also valid for lampposts?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:12:29 pm by aWac9 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 05:16:41 pm »

Thanks aWac9! Yes i like to take things to a point where they are useable at least to some degree. For the sake of enjoying outerra nights at some location the emissive lights are good enough. It still requires some time to set up in the scenery editor and i hope next version of outerra will also come with inbuilt runway lights for all airports. About applying emissive textures to streetlights as you can see from my streetlight post it works but in that case i think the fact that emmissive textures don't illuminate actually anything around them makes less sense and indeed the vehicle script based point lights look much better. I am curious if and  how the next version of outerra will include streetlights. Anyway as above all i enjoy experimenting a lot maybe there is still a way to illuminate at least the road with emissive textures. For the moment unfortunately i don't know the answer yet.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:21:04 pm by fly77 »

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 11:54:17 pm »

oOha! :o Looks cool, congratulations!

"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 02:30:25 am »

Happy you like it.😊

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 03:57:40 pm »

Added  yellow runway edge lights for some runway categories

Added red runway approach lights

files

runway-edge-short-yellow.otx
runway-edge-long-yellow.otx

runway-approach-short-red.otx
runway-approach-long-red.otx

redownload from here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jowm1cz3sfiezir/AADj1JdDMGptyM9ymblAdv8wa?dl=0
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:43:43 pm by fly77 »

aWac9

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 04:01:54 am »

thanks fly77 super. The playwright Von Goethe always said that difficulties increase as one approaches the end.

Pages: [1] 2