Outerra Engine > Development screen shots and videos

Low flight above forest...

(1/9) > >>

angrypig:
Here is a short video with the latest version of trees, let's say version 0.3  :). There is still a lot of work to make it ready for the demo. But not so much as with the unlimited detail tech :)

Here is the basic info about the tree rendering:

- 3D trees are enabled at the distance of 250 meters, this will be variable in the future and will depend on how many trees in what quality are being rendered in total.

- the generator also produces billboard textures from various angles for more distant trees (not used yet)

- there is a bug with 3d leaves - they are incorrectly positioned

- video was captured in realtime as usually, on my Nvidia 460 1GB in Full-HD resolution at 30 FPS

- not all optimization are implemented yet, but in current state the FPS in Full-HD resolution in this scenario is 50 to 65

-  in the worst case there can be up to 500 3D trees in the view. Trees are currently split into 7 LODs, the highest LOD0 has 15,000 branches and 15,000 leaves. This amount of detail is too high for a forest, but it will be used on standalone trees. In forest I am expecting the highest detail to be around 7,000 branches and the same number for the leaves.

- btw flying in such low altitude, a few meters above trees is the worst case, because leaves are close and culling for groups of leaves is not working properly yet

- and I will have to do something with the distant thin branches that pop up sometimes, which is annoying during such low flight. In normal cases it is usually not recognizable.

- and I almost forgot to mention that we switched our anti-aliasing method from MSAA to FXAA. A blog post about that will follow soon, together with comparison screenshots.

C. Shawn Smith:
Once again, I'm rendered (pun intended) speechless.

Question: How do the 3d trees react if you place an object like a building or road through a forest such as this?  In the previous road creation video, you can see the initial -- for lack of a better word -- rewrite of the affected terrain, and watch the trees disappear to make way for the road (I think it was most prevalent in the banked roads video).

I foresee a 2011 Retrospective Video with this clip :)

Redrobes:
Nice - liking very much ! Is there any way to get a global fractal parameter to alter the absolute green colour of the trees ? Maybe a brightness or some kind of hue change to give them a bit of variance. Some kind of luminosity modulation based on tree position maybe ? I think the effect them would be highly realistic - not that its all that far off already.

sniperwolfpk5:
wow :o . The most realistic trees i ever seen in a game engine. This engine will revolutionize future games.  Angrypig it will be gr8 if you make a movie that shows complete tree rounding a camera around. Sorry for my bad english :lol:

Dmytro Lyakh:
DEMO! DEMO! DEMO!

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version