Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Low flight above forest...  (Read 40708 times)

SpaceFlight

Low flight above forest...
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:35 pm »

Quote from: angrypig
Quote from: ZeosPantera
Also any chance of uploading the 1080p version somewhere for direct download. It looks like Youtube has put this through the ringer.

Here is the direct link to video http://outerra.com/videos/trees11_hq.avi

So much better.
Looks good.  :D
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 01:00:47 pm »

Heh, and perfect timing for me.  Just picked up a new set of loops and am practicing mixing them together for sound tracks :D
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Abc94

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 03:23:31 pm »

Wow, the trees already look really good!  It will look even better once the "tree popping" issue is fixed.  Be sure to post a video of it then!  :cool:

I know you want to add a few things before the demo is released, but what is the current state of the ATI drivers?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 02:32:26 am »

ATI drivers are still buggy, and although we've reported all of the bugs and (hopefully) they will be fixed soon in beta drivers, there's no chance of fixed public drivers appearing in summer. So we are working around the buggy parts, coding different paths for AMD to take. I've coded my part of the workarounds, and now it's Angrypig's turn.

His swearings already echo in the halls of Outerra, with one particular keyword in abundance :D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 04:36:23 am »

Give those Canooks hell boss.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 03:42:26 pm »

thats looking cool. Are they in your collisionable objectlists, or could you pass through the trees as air?

Jangalomph

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 08:42:24 pm »

Wow this is looking great!  :D

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 05:54:56 am »

I have had another thought. I think I read somewhere that you set the sun for a particular time of day and time of year and it gets the right angle. If you know the time of year have you thought about using that colour control to make the trees much more yellow for certain latitudes based on time of year so that N hemispheres go yellow in autumn ?

In my GTS there is a parameter for the sun direction such that it melts snow on the sunny side of mountains but its not a dynamic/interactive app. If it were, then I think that sun direction would change per year and then the snowline would change as the mean solar heating changes. Of course we don't have procedural trees tho but if we did then I would imagine that your climate model could change them depending on the season.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 05:56:11 am »

Quote from: necro
thats looking cool. Are they in your collisionable objectlists, or could you pass through the trees as air?
Not yet, currently you'd just pass through.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 06:10:50 am »

Quote from: Redrobes
I have had another thought. I think I read somewhere that you set the sun for a particular time of day and time of year and it gets the right angle. If you know the time of year have you thought about using that colour control to make the trees much more yellow for certain latitudes based on time of year so that N hemispheres go yellow in autumn ?

Yes, that's the plan once the basic stuff is in place. There should be a coarse model computing the mean temperature for given latitude, altitude and current earth's inclination, later augmented by a differential map that brings the effects of things like ocean currents, mountain range air current shields and such.

From the mean temperature we'll also derive probabilities of vegetation types occurring - survival of plants depends mainly on minimum temperatures during year that the plant can withstand; I guess the minimum can be roughly computed from the mean value somehow, or it will be computed&stored separately. Mean can be used for snow coverage and for many other things, so it will be computed in parallel with terrain data in sufficient resolution, since it's expected to be used a lot. Together with precipitation maps. Basically, the idea is to provide the data so one can query the values for mean and min/max values at given place, and use it for vegetation and weather phenomena and whatever, in further development.

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 08:20:48 am »

Ohh this posted today as well - how convenient:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0020551

Max tree height as a function of terrain, climate and other params which you probably have a good idea about. :)  It is supposed to have been checked with reasonable correlation with US tree height measurements as shown in this diagram.

http://www.plosone.org/article/slideshow.action?uri=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0020551&imageURI=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0020551.g001

I.e. bake this into mapressor to generate a useful world wide tree height param.

Abc94

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 01:49:24 pm »

Well, I hope that these next beta drivers are "the ones".  The demo would be an awesome christmas present!
Quote from: cameni
His swearings already echo in the halls of Outerra

Have you had any more thoughts on the "making a live stream of debugging Outerra" idea?   :P
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »

We hope we'll encounter no further problems and the workarounds will work. They may be a bit slower than the approaches we are using now, but nothing terrible. Once the right drivers become public we'll merge the paths.

Quote from: Abc94
Have you had any more thoughts on the "making a live stream of debugging Outerra" idea?   :P
No, but yesterday I was thinking if it would be a good idea to make a page displaying recent comments from our source code revision control system. Not sure :D

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 02:38:36 pm »

Quote from: Abc94
Well, I hope that these next beta drivers are "the ones".  The demo would be an awesome christmas present!
Quote from: cameni
His swearings already echo in the halls of Outerra

Heh, that actually made me think of something that might be cool for some of us.

Recently, a game-related e-zine I co-run/own has been experimenting with some private game streams on Twitch.tv (a subsidiary of Justin.tv), in preparation of doing a full scale launch at the end of the year.

It would be fairly cool if you guys could do something similar during the creation of a video sequence, or when you're just relaxing and flying around.  An "Outerra LIVE!" channel would be interesting :)

The feeds for some of these streams are generally low quality when there's a lot of movement, unless it's one of the "premium" channels.  But it could still be pretty fun.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Abc94

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 04:09:14 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
It would be fairly cool if you guys could do something similar during the creation of a video sequence, or when you're just relaxing and flying around.  An "Outerra LIVE!" channel would be interesting :)

Yeah something like that would be pretty cool.  Or get one stable version and make the ufo just fly around randomly by itself and have that on a stream.

That or you could hire someone to fly it around all day.   :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3