Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: road traffic for outerra ?  (Read 5239 times)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
road traffic for outerra ?
« on: January 06, 2019, 05:16:58 am »

While waiting for road traffic to appear in outerra - hopefully - I thought it would be nice to try do something by ourselfs, using some self-driving vehicles spawned on the outerra road network. Here is a first promising trial - for the moment on a test-track - using a vehicle test chassis and very basic decision making algorithm. As I scripted this in a few hours it seems quite feasible to get some nice road traffic by ourselfs, keeping a few cars driving randomly around outerra roads so that we are no longer driving around on desert streets. Maybe spawn some police cars as well !  ;).  Suggestions are wellcome !

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 05:31:26 am by fly77 »

aWac9

Re: road traffic for outerra ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 01:27:45 pm »

It's a good start .. I was missing the pollution

:)

andfly

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 04:38:23 am »

I absolutely adore any implementation of AI or Pseudo_AI.
You had a great idea!

I hope you will continue to develop it ... :)
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 04:48:46 am »

Hi andfly. I agree. Its amazing to see objects coming to autonomous life in outerra. There are so many open possibilities. I also would like to have airtraffic. As roadtraffic seems simpler to me to master..but maybe I am wrong..I start off with autonomous vehicles. Its fun to learn how to take best decisions to keep the car on track..possibly driving on the right side of the road and learn how to come back onto the road in case it gets out of control.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:49:49 pm by fly77 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 05:38:35 pm »

Today I made some progress with AI cars for outerra road traffic or racing....looks promising and is quite fun !  =D  Need some improvement in maneuvering  :-[ Unfortunately the car has no "knowledge" of the map, just locally senses the road. Kind of driving "blind"

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:45:47 pm by fly77 »

aWac9

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 04:29:35 am »

:)
I like it ... good job fly77 ... we will see how far it goes.  C:-)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 05:29:29 am »

Thanks aWac9  ;) I have one more idea : add some more "virtual (transparent) sensing wheels" in front of the car so that he can guess what kind of intersections or roundabouts are ahead - similiar to line following robots - and take apropriate decisions in time, so to never exit the road. Let's see.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 05:43:19 am by fly77 »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 07:54:18 am »

Seems actually pretty good and the fact it corrects itself like being driven instead of following the roads vector line makes it feel realistic. I guess, you also could give it a road width sensing ability. You have a way of getting the roads sides identified ... maybe getting the roads width from one end to the other 90 degrees off of the vehicle, then, taking some minimal road width ( witch would be representing a single lane road ) and forcing the vehicle to keep itself at just the proper lane by telling him not to get over the minimal road-width from the right side if the road is wider ( two or more lanes ) ... not sure how it would react on intersections and such, but if he switches from one road to another one at the  point, he could handle it to correct himself.

Technically, you cam make left-driving easy by just switching, from witch side it should hold the minimal road width parameter.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 07:56:48 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 08:29:59 am »

Yes you're right..I wanted to sense road width...also sense how much straight road is ahead to set speed. Vehicles can detect roads either by its wheels material sesensing or through raycasting when there is snow or mud to the left and right of the road. Unfortunately i don't know other ways to detect roads and I have not access to the osm outerra data..but it will be a good starting point. Thanks for the hint anyway.

allymotors

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 12:14:55 pm »

@fly77 will you ever release the AI driving script?  =D

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 01:15:04 pm »

Yes..but be aware that it requires that you have full snow coverage in the landscape as it needs the snow to detect where the road is...indeed in outerra roads allways remain snow-free. A simple way to get snow is with my weathermaker mod..press L to see the season..then press H until you get winter season. Then press J to change the daily weather until you get a good snowcover. Still the AI mod has serious difficulties at intersections especially in curves and also in other situations..it works reasonably well only when there are intersection in straight road sections. This is because I found no other way than snow to reasonably predict the road in front of the vehicle. Detecting intersections which can be of many times would be needed but I don't know yet how to achieve this. Anyway I want to improve it a little however implementing some of phytonpago 's suggestions before release otherwise every few minutes you need to run to help out the not yet so intelligent AI driver
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 05:27:49 pm by fly77 »