Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: universal Light bulbs for illuminating/decorating your outerra world (release)  (Read 4045 times)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

As christmas is approaching it is my pleasure to share with you a set of lightbulbs in different colors
to illuminate your outerra world, be it as city luminous decoration (for christmas ), as taxiway lights,
as lamps inside buildings or whatever application comes to your mind.

The simplicity of the model, consisting just in a spherical light ball, makes it very versatile.
It is intended to be placed in the scenery editor wherever you like. No need to switch it on.

Here a demonstration of how you can use the bulbs to decorate your outerra city for christmas.
Enjoy !

Download from here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11X1zURMH3Ho1oaURYuPmQnJi3VRZD0_C?usp=sharing

installation:
click on the self-installing light-bulbs-otx file

use:
Open scenery editor (F7)
under assets search for "bulb"
you will see two folders named bulb. One folder contains "active" lights of 5 different colors
(white, red, green, blue and yellow) , meaning these lights illuminate their surroundings
Then you have a second folder which contains "passive" lights..they still look luminous
but don't illuminate their surroundings.
So use whichever best suits your need. just note that "active" lights have a higher cost in terms of fps if you place many of them in one location.Often if you need many lights - such as for luminous city decoration as in my video - it is best to mix a majority of passive lights with a few active lights.

Note: if the bulb "spawns" on the ground either drag it up with the mouse while holding pressed TAB key or enter an apropriate height value...decimal separator is "." 

For advanced users: if you want to change the light intensity of individual "active lights" you can do so by editing the corresponding objdef file in the fly77/bulb  package folder. You will find a line named parameters
such as "parameters" : "colore:0, intens:0.6", 
that specifies the light color and intensity. change the intens value to your needs.
Don't change the color number as it needs to match the corresponding mtl file
(0=white,1=red, 2=green, 3=blue, 4=yellow)

note: best viewed with MSAA-4x antialiasing 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:54:13 am by fly77 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

The light bulbs are well suited for airport taxiway lights. Best lift them up a little bit from ground so that the illuminated spot is bigger and therefore better visible from a distance. Don't worry planes (and cars) can drive over them without getting bumped.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 12:10:34 pm by fly77 »

aWac9

I have some difficulty moving the bulbs once they are in place,, when you go back in I can't take them to move them
using them as a track center is a great idea

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

I have some difficulty moving the bulbs once they are in place,, when you go back in I can't take them to move them
using them as a track center is a great idea

I know..that seems an editor problem...do you see that it gets selected when you click with the mouse on it ? Note that once selected you need be relatively near to the bulb to be able to drag it. Also if you want to move it and it doesn't move then try first rotate it and then fast try to drag it.
This problem happens when you place them very near or inside the bounding box of other objects (its a general editor problem)...but should not occur on a runway ....which is basically an open space...unless you are near other objects with big bounding boxes such as my streetlights or other objects....for instance the towers. In fact when you place one object inside the bounding box of any other object picking and moving it is a problem
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:22:13 am by fly77 »