Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Future of the game - IV - Sapiens  (Read 9862 times)

fooff

Future of the game - IV - Sapiens
« on: March 30, 2019, 06:05:40 am »

Hello,
it's that time of the year when i came to check if any improvements have been done toward the game.
What a surprise to find just a more polished engine.
To the people who still believe a game could came ot of this engine  :facepalm: : this is a video of a similar project, similar amount of time, one persone working on it, creating his very own game engine. The only difference is that he focused on delivering a game, instead of selling the engine to other parties.

I'm waiting to read your new excuses

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
Re: Future of the game - IV - Sapiens
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 11:58:22 am »

good source of inspiration for building a game with outerra. Especially I like the explanations on how he built his game.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:03:38 pm by fly77 »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 01:23:22 pm »

But I've been waiting on your game for over 3 years, fooff.  Where is it?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

fooff

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 05:49:52 pm »

But I've been waiting on your game for over 3 years, fooff.  Where is it?
I'm building no game, and more importantly, I never sold a 20€ promise and made no effort toward it.

Occams Razer

• Freelance Graphic and Game Designer, 3D Artist
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:27:38 pm »

I'd like to disagree with fooff, but he's right. If the game will have to wait until the world is perfect, there will be no game. To be clear, I'm not miffed that Anteworld isn't shining through. It's that we aren't seeing any real gameplay at all.

The closest thing we've gotten to actual gameplay so far has been the archery minigame, which has a stated goal but A. can't be won or lost, B. can't be finished without closing the program, and C. doesn't make particularly good use of the program's features. It skirts the edge of one of my older suggestions (https://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3588.0) about a way to add gameplay without ruining the sandbox experience, but has the additional shortcoming of being un-extendable by the community.

I can wait for a perfect Earth. I can even wait for Anteworld. But I can't wait to actually play something.

zuluknob

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 04:02:33 am »

Looks like the flight sim crown that still think OT is going somewhere are going to abandon ship once this comes out.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 04:57:17 am »

hmm...outerra can't beat MS as a flightsim but outerra has - and apparently will have - much better groundlevel simulation capabilities and can do multidomain combat simulation (see TitanIM and microprose's plans) and much more.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 05:06:41 am by fly77 »

zuluknob

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 05:06:38 am »

Yeh, except they haven't actually done anything with it. I said years ago that others were working on the full earth, this is one of the results. MFS's resolution is 3cm, it's fairly trivial to add some fractal inbetweening to make it look nicer at ground level.

I would think that MS will do more with the 2 petabytes of world data they are using for MFS.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

PRiME

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 10:58:24 pm »

Nice, yes MFS will be where its at, I do wonder if it will have any sort of combat flight simulation going on, maybe a expansion pack. Not looking forward to it being a MS Store exclusive, probably count me out sadly because I mainly use Linux and thus treated like the enemy for most companies :( 

carguyamerica2014

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 12:43:20 pm »

BI-Sim already licenses Outerra's Engine for VBS4. TitanIM is using the same engine. Neither have offered home entertainment products because TitanIM is the guy that used to run BI. No way he pisses off his military buddies and creates a game for consumers. Clearly Outerra has virtual gold on their hands and yet this forum has been up for like 9 years and we are no closer to a consumer game. With the Arma assets from BI studios, they've been able to offer military simulations that include the entire globe. Nearly 50 countries train their soldiers with it. With the popularity of Arma, PBUG, COD etc, there's no reason why Outtera as a company can't kickstarter a video game that is a military simulation for consumers instead of military/governments. The demand for such a game is as high as a game like Star Citizen which made a gazillion dollars crowdfunding. Who wouldn't want to play a battlefield simulator in their home neighborhood? Or try to take over Washington DC against a team of another 100 players defending it? Or have a submarine battle at the bottom of the ocean? Or space battles on the moon? If the engine can be used by Bi-Sim and others, it can be used by you guys directly to make a great game. You just need the manpower and programmers and game asset designers to make it happen. 2020 is the year to crowdfund!  Interestingly, if 50 countries are training their militaries with this engine, Outerra already has tens of millions in the bank account and just isnt spending it on game design. How about some marketing guys on this forum mock up a kickstarter or indigogo page, we'll pay outerra for a commercial licence with the proceeds, hire some programmers and get this thing off the ground.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 07:59:10 am »

Are you sure VBS4 uses outerra engine licence ?

The engine they use seems VBS blue and that one is advertised by them as follows :

"VBS Blue is an innovative new whole-earth rendering technology from Bohemia Interactive Simulations. VBS Blue ingests a wide range of source data and renders high-fidelity, high-performance scenes from space down to blades of grass. In this video, we show geo-specific scenes generated rapidly in VBS Blue. We are leveraging TerraTools technology for rapid, easy-to-use planetary terrain generation and editing.
  "

The video presenting the engine looks different from outerra (for instance roads)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:08:32 am by fly77 »

carguyamerica2014

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 11:30:36 am »

With VBS4 they may have changed but on Outerra's contact page they say TitanIM has exclusive license to the Outerra world rendering engine for military applications. TitanIM is run by the owner of BI. It looks very similar to Arma and has roads, ai, etc.  If TitanIM can make a military simulator, so could Outerra.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 12:25:16 pm »

Thats right

aWac9

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 02:32:53 pm »

I think you are poorly informed. it is possible that at the beginning of BI (Sec. Australia) David Lagettie (owner today of TitanIM) was related to BI (Prague), but that relationship dissolved long ago .. today they are entrepreneurs with different paths and non-crossed companies .. although It is true that both seek the same military niche.
Bohemia Interactive has been trying for a global theater for years, but neither knows nor can ... and that its military experience is broad. ... far as I know.
Outerra is a unique species to protect and believe me, it has not been easy. It is very cold out there and there are too many sharks.
:) 8)

carguyamerica2014

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 03:25:32 pm »

BISims has world rendering / global theater now. They simply used paged terrain as far as I know. Still, if TitanIM can make a milsim out of Outerra, the company itself could do so, or could partner with TitanIM to produce a consumer version of their military product (BISims used to offer vbs2 in a personal edition for $500). Modders could do the rest much like Arma has with its workshop on steam and player created content.
Pages: [1] 2