Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Welcome to the 'Technology' forum  (Read 52761 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Welcome to the 'Technology' forum
« on: October 03, 2009, 07:59:58 am »

This forum is intended for developers who would like to discuss features and requirements of the engine. Suggestions and postings of interesting related information are welcome, too.

Welcome!

pico

• http://
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 06:05:27 pm »

I realy like ur Engine. Do u plan a simple FlyoverDemo like this?

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/6bb837ec-a2c4-4236-9e1a-de45144644e1/

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 03:28:54 am »

Quote from: Pico
I realy like ur Engine. Do u plan a simple FlyoverDemo like this?
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/6bb837ec-a2c4-4236-9e1a-de45144644e1/
We are going to release a demo in near future with possibility to fly around in there but also to drive a ground vehicle. Cannot say precisely when, though, there are still many things to do.

pico

• http://
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:23:57 am »

This sounds great. I cant wait to explore this Landscape by myself. :)

helio2

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 03:05:08 pm »

I have a ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB and a Quad core processor with 4Gbs of Ram. Windows Vista and 7

Could i run this software?
what kind of frame rate could i expect?
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 04:09:24 pm »

Quote from: helio2
I have a ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB and a Quad core processor with 4Gbs of Ram. Windows Vista and 7

Could i run this software?
what kind of frame rate could i expect?
The engine requires a SM4 class graphics card, so anything from 8800 cards from nVidia and 2000 cards from ATI will do. Although, we still have some problems with ATI cards at the moment, namely the asynchronous readbacks aren't much asynchronous and it results in twitching during the camera movement, as the driver syncs. But we should have a workaround, only very slightly slowing the rendering for ATI cards.
Or ATI fixes their drivers :-)

Frame rates aren't final yet, as there aren't all the optimizations yet, but it's normally playable even with the vast forests rendered.

helio2

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 03:00:05 am »

Oh, well i can play Crysis on Max Settings @1440x900 at 50 fps.
Also how are you currently handling the camera movements in the game?
Can you like Look all around, for example look up with the mouse all the way until your upside down, or does it stop at 180 degrees?  Or Can you till the camera with the left and right arrow keys until your upside down? or does the camera track the planet's terrain? how does it work?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 04:52:38 am »

It entirely depends on the camera controller. The current one is free motion controller and you can do whatever you want, it only stops you one meter from the surface and adjusts the speed by the altitude (slower close to the ground), but otherwise you can turn around in any way and get all the motion sickness you want :-)

helio2

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 03:41:42 am »

That's awesome i like motion sickness! Are the camera movements gradual or are they instant? Like when you are just looking around on a spot and you look left , is the speed gradual or instant? Also like when you come to a spot does it decelerate or does it just stop. I guess maybe the equivalent of a speed fade. Not sure if i made sense or not, dont know how to explain it lawlz.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 03:51:39 am »

As I said it's entirely dependent on the motion controller, so it will be probably different for different vehicles - just what we'll find appropriate.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 02:53:15 pm »

Quote from: cameni
The engine requires a SM4 class graphics card, so anything from 8800 cards from nVidia and 2000 cards from ATI will do. Although, we still have some problems with ATI cards at the moment, namely the asynchronous readbacks aren't much asynchronous and it results in twitching during the camera movement, as the driver syncs. But we should have a workaround, only very slightly slowing the rendering for ATI cards.
Or ATI fixes their drivers :-)

Frame rates aren't final yet, as there aren't all the optimizations yet, but it's normally playable even with the vast forests rendered.
Nice to know. I have a Radeon 2600 Pro with 256 MB RAM, a Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz, 320GB HDD, and 2 GB DDR2-800 here on my iMac.  What frame rate can I expect with such specs at say, 1024x768 with settings not cranked up too high?
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 03:23:11 pm »

Well I don't know what's the performance of 2xxx cards from ATI, never had one. The above statement was related to the pure possibility of running the code, as we require SM4 level graphics.
 But apart from the ATI driver issue and the state of OpenGL on Macs there is another problem with your setup - 256MB RAM is way too low. I didn't know they were making these with so little memory.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 03:26:44 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Well I don't know what's the performance of 2xxx cards from ATI, never had one. The above statement was related to the pure possibility of running the code, as we require SM4 level graphics.
 But apart from the ATI driver issue and the state of OpenGL on Macs there is another problem with your setup - 256MB RAM is way too low. I didn't know they were making these with so little memory.
The 256MB RAM on my graphics card is too low?  Darn.  In that case, I'll just have to dream that I have to get a new computer.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide

RaikoRaufoss

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 11:15:50 pm »

Sorry for double posting, but another question came to me.  I already know that Outerra fully uses multi-cored processors.  What I'm curious about is: Would a graphics card meant for gaming or for workstation applications be best, and would a regular CPU, or a CPU meant for workstations be best?
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 01:27:26 am »

Outerra mainly utilizes the GPU, that's the component that makes the most difference. With a better GPU one can set a higher overall detail level or to get a smoother experience during dynamic motion in a difficult terrain (difficult to generate).

It is expected that the CPU side will be exploited more by the simulator or game code, so it mostly depends on the requirements of that part.
Pages: [1] 2