Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Player Models  (Read 21791 times)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Re: Player Models
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 02:25:20 pm »

Edit: so there are millions of people onboard. Thats a lot more than I thought.

Yeah, quite a few more ;)

Currently, the number is a very vague 1 million, though it might end up being a bit more than that in the end.  The current size of the Outerra takes this into account.  When Cameni and I were discussing the ship's design, I took a loose measure of the human body, added a possible measurement of the cryo-chambers, added another approximate measurement for the support computers, and so on.  Based on 1 million colonists, the Outerra is the exact size needed to house all of that, plus the engines and other equipment (including vehicles of all types, housing materials, food, etc).

In total, according to my timeline, 180 years is needed for the mission's on-board clock.  None of the crew will experience 180 years though.  Each on-board ship year, a select group will emerge from cryo, attend the ship for one year, and then re-enter cryo for the next group to emerge.  Thus, only 2 or 3 years total pass for the crew.

The Earth's clock, due to time dilation, sees a ±300 year variation.  This is within the "mission's" protocols.  However, as noted in the Epilogue teaser posted for Anteworld, we see that almost 2000 years have actually passed on Earth ;).

Basically, in a nutshell, if the Outerra left Earth today (February 25th, 2012), the on-board ship date would be February 25th, 2192 when they returned, according to mission protocols.  The crew would "feel" like it's only February 25th, 2015/2016.  The Earth date, however, would be February 25th, 2312.  In the epilogue teaser, the date would actually be February 25th, 4312.

IF the ship left today (it actually departs on January 1st, 2100, at 00:00 GMT).

So pretty much, the crew would be no more nor less than like today's current population.

;tldr version:
The ship departs only 90 years from today's date. They only experience about 3 years of time during a mission that lasts 180 years of on-board time, due to cryogenics.  Earth clocks read 300 years of time.  Anteworld takes place 2,000 years later, so you'll have to wait to find out why the disparity (ie, 300 vs 2000) ;)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 02:53:09 pm »

Cameni coded the billboard trees to vary in color slightly.. Do the same for the player models.

How about the fact that there are no female models...? or are we assuming nobody wanted a women backseat driving for 2000 years?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 03:42:06 pm »

lol.  Actually, there are character sketches for both males AND females by the guy who's been working on the clothing type.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 12:03:54 pm »

Now I am not a fashionista but Hawaiian shirts and crash helmets don't work

Wait, what? Man...
Pages: 1 [2]