Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: buildings  (Read 13144 times)

Lucas

buildings
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:11:57 pm »

1 question, when you gather lets say wood and such how would you build a house or shelter? would there be a menu with needed materials and the outcome?

Tottel

Re: buildings
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 06:32:29 pm »

I propose something like WurmOnline (http://wurmonline.com/) :)

(This is how it works in Wurm, not how it exactly should/could be in Outerra):
- Flatten the ground with a shovel. The entire world is made of tiles, if you dig in any spot in the tile (split into 4 squares), that part will drop down a bit; drop dirt to raise.
- Cut down a tree with an axe, cut down the fallen tree with axe in logs, use saw to create planks.
- A whole system of mining and melting to get iron nails.
- Make blueprint of house on the terrain with a mallet; you can place parts of the house on each groundtile, once you're happy you hit "finalize" it. You can't change it anymore now, and you can start constructing.
- With planks and nails in inventory, click on a side of the blueprint with the mallet to build. You can now choose to build a wall, window or a door.
It takes 20 planks and 20 sets of nails to build 1 wall.

Considering you probably won't have deformable terrain (I heard you're interested in implementing it later), the first step will be a bit hard. :)
Although I do like the blueprint of your house, and then constructing wall per wall.

Zippy24

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:33:11 pm »

I always thought that the house builder in the sims was awesome. It gave you a lot of freedom along with being very simple. Also you could use the creation of a foundation to get past the process of deforming terrain. As long as the terrain is not too hilly a concrete slab in the shape of the house would work.

Lucas

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:11:16 pm »

i do like the wurm one! looks pretty good

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:10:56 pm »

IDK... I looked it up and saw quite a lot of major things that people didn't like about it, plus that it's full of thieves and trolls.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Matt6767

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:39:45 pm »

The only thing wrong with Wurm is that it takes hours to make any progress, it takes 10 minutes just to build one part of a wooden fence. The game is still fun though especially when you work together with other players. Very satisfying when you get a whole fort up.

They should follow Wurm's style of building except without the difficult construction time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:21:40 am by Matt6767 »

Lucas

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 12:24:36 am »

i agree with matt6767. but i think the general idea of the building system is good.

Tottel

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:15:56 am »

Hours indeed.. Wurm is one of the only games that can make me go "Oh, I'll just play half an hour"; and about 9 hours later, I'm still playing.

It takes a long time to do *anything* but that makes it very rewarding as well. When you see a huge castle in Minecraft, you just think "Not bad."
When you see one in Wurm, you go "My God.. That's insane!".

DarkDXZ

• Exception within exception...EXCEPTION!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:08:01 am »

I heard about Wurm and I think it's quite a good game, however some players aren't very nice and it's quite in-intuitive.

But hey - we, in indie gaming, we have to help each other.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:35:00 am by DarkDXZ »
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" - Joseph Stalin

Tribs

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 08:35:44 pm »

Not sure what the terrain data of Anteworld is, but if its something like a height map then implementing deformable terrain would be relatively easy.

The point height closest to where you stand just needs to be updated by say -0.1 when you complete a dig action, and updated by +0.1 when you drop a dirt. The information change is relatively slow, so their cloud services could transfer the terrain point changes between players in the same area of the globe.