Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: MS Flight 20 - interresting world generator  (Read 25284 times)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
MS Flight 20 - interresting world generator
« on: October 06, 2019, 01:25:05 am »

I just stumbled on this thing ... kinda strange how the terrain is made : MS Flight 20 - interesting world generator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yibHHc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0Qk0Nvk-W0bEQU_yCpv013PjvPGcdX_BOh0k6BsTJbAvo3JL0RQhZqmPM
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
Re: MS Flight 20 - interresting world generator
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 02:00:50 am »

Terrain making is probably the least strange thing in this new sim. Its just high quality ortophotos plus lots of precisely generated autogen. The more crazy thing is the autogen which seems realistic 3d models (with real textures it seems !) precisely corresponding to real buildings extracted somehow automatically by AI software from bing maps. Also flight model seems really incredibly realistic..as well as real wind and cloud physics..of course it looks also gorgeous.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:03:35 am by fly77 »

2eyed

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 04:06:28 am »

Most of the footage they showed off is not autogen terrain but "real" photogrammetry (same as Google does with many locations in GEarth). MS is good in tricking their audience: sun is always there where the baked in ground shadows point to. But those shadows can't move with daytime. Don't know how they could overcome this problem. Same with seasonal changes.
May the great AzureAI Cloud Force be with them! :))
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:15:13 am by 2eyed »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 07:21:05 am »

... the physics look interesting ... like the visualization way of lift.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 08:55:13 am »

I hope that besides the 64 bit version of the engine outerra will come up with something "special" in time...otherwise , once this is released by the end of 2020, at least those of us who like flying will be sucked into the new flightsimulator -  be it only to check how it feels to play with it - leaving outerra on the sidelines. At least that's my guess...it will also depend on what PC/network specs are needed to play the MS2020 flightsim. It seems quite probable outerra will never be able to match the photoreal quality of the MS2020 world at least when viewed from cockpits. So that "special" is to be found in other than flightsim. Milsim seems the most obvious choice. Since I doubt that a ready milism game based on outerra will be possible by that time at least there should be some CREDIBLE announcement and maybe some more active "marketing" at some point to keep the interest high in outerra. It is a great engine but it needs to be shown/proven that a game can be made with it as there is allways strong competition. Another thought: my impression is that one of the greatest "special" features of outerra is that it is highly "moddable". maybe this should be made even more easy to make super-easy "modding" part of a outerra based game.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 01:07:04 pm by fly77 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 04:59:24 am »

here are some more details on how the MS2020 world looks close up.  While buildings are very good trees and grass look less realistic than in outerra.
Its clear that this is because its meant to be viewed from above, not from groundlevel.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:36:26 am by fly77 »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 03:25:51 pm »

If you're talking about the shot at 4:54, that's not the final in-game look (unless perhaps that look is available for less powerful hardware in-game).  That's just more like Google Maps "3D" (though he says bing, but I don't know where to find 3D on bing maps lol).

The more final trees look a hell of a lot better than Outerra's 2D billboards.  But I still want to see closer shots, which somehow people on youtube who have the test builds have not done yet.  ???  Is there an NDA for showing footage near the ground outside of airports? lol  Or perhaps crashing your plane isn't a thing yet, lol.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 05:47:07 pm »

well yes that one and the one at 9:04 showing very green grass.  Here is another shot that shows that actually fortunately MS2020 grass is not allways so green ...great !

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 05:49:24 pm »

If trees are the same as google map 3D trees shown below (and from several MS2020 videos it seems it is) then I disagree ..they don't look better than outerra billboards...no tree branches, no leaves ! just "green blobs" ..Looking even more close up they will look horrible.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:52:11 pm by fly77 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 06:00:13 pm »

This shot is a zoom from a MS2020 screenshot...so yes its like google maps 3D trees  . nice from far away but not to nice when viewed from nearby : also houses look the same as in 3D google maps. Not sure how these look from close up. Not so nice probably. Good from far away but not from close up.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:02:50 pm by fly77 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 06:14:35 pm »

This is the closest shot I could find .. green green grass ..not so bad after all ...but not sure if it moves in the wind !  ...and trees look a little less "Blobby". Graphically pleasing but of course its just "graphics" while in outerra everything can be animated and interacted with..as it is a "game engine" not a "flightsimulator engine". That remains a fundamental difference. Also not all houses seem the same.. some such as these seem procedurally generated as in outerra while those in the previous shot seem google maps photogrammetry

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:18:48 pm by fly77 »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 06:32:18 pm »

I still prefer this shot over billboards.

But of course that wouldn't work if you wanted to go through the forests while on the ground.

I do wonder when the individual tree models (I think?) will come into play like that shot at the end of the video.  Of course they showed them at a distance over a hill.  ::)
Does it LOD from models to the blobs?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:37:22 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 05:51:50 pm »

So here are two shots from the initial presentation video showing that trees look better and better when getting closer..Kudos to asobo studio developers.

("")

Jagerbomber

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 07:23:57 pm »

I mean, they had 3D trees in their earlier open world game, FUEL (2009), which I played to completion and way beyond.  I miss it quite a lot.

2eyed

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 07:40:40 am »

My biggest concern with the photogrammetry derived rendering (like google 3d maps or bing) is not trees looking like broccoli but the baked in shadows which can not show different time of day. With the screens MS is showing it looks good because they always choose the right lighting conditions matching the invariant ground textures.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4