Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: YALP (Yet Another Linux Post): It works!!  (Read 2538 times)

Wizaxx

YALP (Yet Another Linux Post): It works!!
« on: October 24, 2019, 02:15:21 pm »

OK, I just discovered Outerra two days ago and I've not slept since... This is CRAAAAZY!

Now I am running Ubuntu 18.04 on a 7 years old laptop, and still OT just worked fine on the first try, How?
Well I made sure my OS is clean
Code: [Select]
sudo apt autoremoveI then made sure I had the latest NVIDIA driver, in my case I updated to 430.50 from the NVIDIA X server
then installed a fresh WINE complete with WINEtricks from the Ubuntu's flathub repository, after installation I selected the windows 10 OS.
I then downloaded OT.
The tricky part for me was to install OT via WINEtricks and not PLayOnLinux. That needs a bit of fiddling... but I chose to "install an application" >>"OK" >> and "cancel" on the the screen (showing the list of applications)
This is not taking back to the same screen, but offers an option of "browse file", from there I selected my OT file and let WINEtrick do its magic.
It asked to install all missing DLLs to which I agreed, and I rebooted once finish.

I now have a fully functional OT... It is not as smappy as I would have liked, but I was able to move around and find the spot I was looking for.

My goal is to make install some model to illustrate/simulate the possibility to develop an area in a sustainable way and protect the surrounding ecosystem.... but this is a topic for another post, I guess....

Thank you, THANK YOU to the developers for such an amazing tool. I will definitely buy the beta ASAP!
Again thanks!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: YALP (Yet Another Linux Post): It works!!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 02:31:27 am »

Thanks for posting the steps!
Linux was/is on the roadmap but the priority is fairly low because of all the other work this task encompasses, so I'm glad things like WINE exist and work much better they used to ...