Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: next outerra version  (Read 5401 times)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
next outerra version
« on: December 07, 2019, 05:29:20 am »

Any news on features that are foreseen to be included with reasonable probability in the next outerra version ?

2eyed

Re: next outerra version
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:08:47 am »

Oh man, these kind of questions I gave up asking a few years ago. :D

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 08:52:03 am »

well there have been a few previews of tunnels and bridges since a long time so I expect that these could be among the very probable inclusions unless they are still "unstable" . That would bring outerra already a big step forward as it will be a different driving experience. Also I have seen that special collision boxes for tunnels seem to be already mature so I'd just hope that for such already apparently quite progressed things we could have some "probable confirmation" form developers. Never give up...after all sooner or later there will (hopefully) be a next version of outerra... I guess... and if you can make tunnels maybe it will be possible also to make our own caves  ::)   + underground bunkers ??
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 08:57:23 am by fly77 »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 01:25:32 pm »

Bridges + Global Buildings.  You've already got the "biggest" trucking simulator in, well..... the world.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 02:48:38 pm »

Unfortunately, global bridge and tunnel import is still far from being usable, there's a lot of issues in the OSM data, for example in how to compute the correct road elevation. Layer info in OSM is totally unreliable and we have to run layer analysis that's slowing things down significantly.

We had to reassess the complexity of the task and sort the priorities. As you may imagine, the development is quite costly, paid for by our commercial licenses, and as such it's therefore subject to external prioritization. It will eventually be completed, but the deadlines are not set.

For our own goal of releasing the Anteworld game this is one of the feature that would be an overkill, or rather, in general - we could definitely make a game that doesn't have to wait until the engine contains everything needed to render the planet with all modern structures, cities and civilization. Even though we may get there with the help of early licensing contracts (that many people don't like but there's no sensible way the world platform could be developed otherwise), we have to put the fence somewhere.

What will be there regarding the tunnels and bridges is the ability to create them manually via new road editor, but that one likely won't be available in the first builds yet.

So, for what will be in the next update:
  • switch to x64 build (but with some regressions thanks to incompatible parts of the built-in browser)
  • updated browser and Javscript engine
  • scriptable scenery/game objects (both Javascript and C++, though people do not really need C++ at this stage)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 03:43:45 pm »

Thanks a lot for the news. I agree that global tunnels and bridges may not be top priority and I think we can wait for that and meanwhile make some for fun  by our own if you provide the tools to make them. That 'll be already fun. As a "explorer" I'm curious on how the new forest and imagery will look like. 20m data ? Also I guess 64 bit will make outerra more powerful/fluid when there are many objects in the scene. A little bit more buildings would then be something many of us would like...not saying complete big cities but maybe entire small cities as a starter. Better browser helps both us players , modders and scenery builders if I understand that right and we are greatly thankful for that. Scriptable objects and better engine will bring us a step closer to games..which at this point I see can finally emerge as the next priority..rather than reproducing the world in more and more detail..eventually higher detail makes sense for restricted zones for the sole purpose of helping make games. So lots of positive things seem on the close horizon to come and I am now more confident that at least this is a certainty now..while for the dreams...global tunnels bridges and railways as well as 3d trees and volumetric clouds we are ready to wait...on the other hand some sort of demonstration of gaming capability in outerra..not just a simulator..for me at least should probably become a priority in the near future. Thanks once again for the clarifications ..its better knowing what we can get than continue hoping for dreams to come true.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 03:48:18 pm by fly77 »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 05:21:30 pm »

Make the dev and building tools for modders and let 'em run with it.

And if bridges/tunnels are a point that could fixed by hand, then let 'em do it.

Are we getting more globally placed buildings, since we still only have the few?
Though I bet it's a major performance problem (and... performance at sunset/sunrise still hurts bad).

What resolution are we getting? 20?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 05:40:03 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 02:53:40 am »

The new x64 build also got a reworked pipeline to speed up loading a large number of objects. Once we upgrade our servers I guess we can include the full building dataset as well.

Not sure about the imagery resolution yet, but we'll probably start with something more manageable, at least until the filtering and compression is enhanced.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 03:27:30 am »

Great ! Sounds really promising. :) thanks

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 04:18:31 pm »

Christmas wish : a "moddable" animated character in the next outerra version  :P :)

chomper

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 05:34:12 pm »

Make the dev and building tools for modders and let 'em run with it.

And if bridges/tunnels are a point that could fixed by hand, then let 'em do it.

This oh this at the very least.

inactive

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 09:20:54 am »

Christmas wish : a "moddable" animated character in the next outerra version  :P :)
It could be like in Blockland where you could customize the character, and have custom shirts/hats/etc

Or even Roblox (yes that terrible mess of a game).

carguyamerica2014

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 12:39:14 pm »

TitanIM licences outerra for their milsim game. BiSims uses a very similar engine for VBS4. Neither have offered home entertainment products because TitanIM is the guy that used to run BI. No way he pisses off his military buddies and creates a game for consumers. Clearly Outerra has virtual gold on their hands and yet this forum has been up for like 9 years and we are no closer to a consumer game. With the Arma assets from BI studios, they've been able to offer military simulations that include the entire globe. TitanIM has its own assets and built a fully usable game. With the popularity of Arma, PBUG, COD etc, there's no reason why Outtera as a company can't kickstarter a video game that is a military simulation for consumers instead of military/governments. The demand for such a game is as high as a game like Star Citizen which made a gazillion dollars crowdfunding. Who wouldn't want to play a battlefield simulator in their home neighborhood? Or try to take over Washington DC against a team of another 100 players defending it? Or have a submarine battle at the bottom of the ocean? Or space battles on the moon? If the engine can be used by TitanIM and others, it can be used by you guys directly to make a great game. You just need the manpower and programmers and game asset designers to make it happen. 2020 is the year to crowdfund! 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:41:52 pm by barrieguy1987 »

silentpig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 04:50:01 am »

Why would it piss off his military buddies if he created a game for consumers?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:52:43 pm by silentpig »