Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Open Source Forever  (Read 26703 times)

Abc94

Open Source Forever
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 11:32:34 pm »

Quote from: InviZ
Yeyeye...Everybody waiting for new engine for Arma...:)

My ARMA 2 experience:

(I did not make these videos)

Also a thread about this bug which currently has 1070 replies.  http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73235

When ARMA 2 works, it can be a really great game, especially the Capture The Island mode.  Kind of frusterating that it's been over a year and have released a standalone expansion without having fixed this issue.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

Kridian

Open Source Forever
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 12:09:31 am »

Yeah, and just seeing how good the shadowing is with Outerra through the truck interior, but ArmA's is kinda choppy (jagged).  I think Bohemia is not using new, current programming methods to make their engine perform better.

So again, kudos to Outerra for breaking new boundaries... and using OpenGL!

Headsetsniper

Open Source Forever
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 11:06:37 am »

Quote from: cameni
If we are only counting those developers who already produced a game and are seriously considering the engine, it would be 3 or 4 combat simulators and a hardcore strategy game. Their development could be starting in 2011.

Can you give us a specific name or hint who this might be? Or what this games are about?
im very excited to see this engine in an actual game. maybe a RTS over the full planet..?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Open Source Forever
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 11:45:39 am »

Yes, a RTS over the full planet. It won't be able to exploit the engine capabilities fully at all, initially, but they like that they can grow within the engine.
But there are also downsides for them - higher hardware requirements and engine not tailored for strategy games specifically etc, so it's not clear how it will end.

geneb

Open Source Forever
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 05:47:27 pm »

I'd love to see WWII Online using your engine. :)

g.

Chris M

Open Source Forever
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 02:15:15 am »

Let's make it clear: the engine won't be open sourced now, for many reasons, one of them is what mike4 said.
You could easily double licence it. So the commercial developers users pay you and get all the rights they need to create their own product. And the Open Source community would get it under the GPL - and thus all their products would also have to be under the GPL.
However, we have to make money to make living and to be able to expand this engine to utilize its huge potential, so for the start we have to get it into a state when it's usable by developers producing commercial titles.
I understand that - and I'm happy that talented guys like you can dedicate their full time into that project.

Apart from the commercial licences: have you thought about crowd funding? How much would it be, that the community has to to pay to get your engine licensed as GPL?

(And I'm not talking about what you'd get back from the OSS community, like a free port to Linux)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Open Source Forever
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 02:38:10 am »

Quote from: Chris M
Apart from the commercial licences: have you thought about crowd funding? How much would it be, that the community has to to pay to get your engine licensed as GPL?
No, we didn't think about it. Our plan is to support indie devs on the Outerra platform, enabling them to use the engine and the world for their games, while we keep managing the data and users. Some stuff may be open sourced later when it will be wise to do, at the moment it would only kill us while we are hatching :)

Kim Cho

Open Source Forever
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 04:01:26 pm »

Let me raise the licensing question once again.

On the one hand, I do understand that an enormous amount of effort has been put into developing the engine and that the developers surely want to be fairly well paid for the job they already did and that still do. And, on the other hand, I cannot disagree with the topic starter that open source projects have a much better chances for faster development and very long time survival. This brings me to my humble suggestion to consider licensing schemes that would allow both commercial and non-commercial use at the same time.

In particular, I would point a finger at Qt framework and its dual licensing scheme: a commercial license to develop closed-source software including support and a set of extra features and a royalty-free open source license (LGPL) for open source developers. This project (Qt) lived a long life until now with this scheme and gained enough profit to keep evolving into one of the best frameworks we can find today. And it still keeps doing things fairly well.

In my opinion, a dual- or multiple-licensing scheme is a good way to go for the Outerra project.
Pages: 1 [2]