Outerra Engine > FAQ

How can the community help

<< < (2/4) > >>

cameni:
That thought sparked in my tiny brain too, but then I thought - does G+ allow uploading of any (binary) files? Anyway, any http source should work.

corona:
Why binary files? I think he just wants a +1 (vote)link on the blog, so he can +1 it.

KelvinNZ:

--- Quote from: cameni on August 11, 2011, 04:53:53 am ---There was a thread about 3D modeling help. The sandbox game will have the ability to import models so people will be able to check how things look in the world. We are looking at how to handle the legal aspects of automatic content replication and sharing, so that once you import a model it gets visible to others visiting the same location.

If you have some vehicle models that could get into the game, that are consistent with the game setting, we would welcome any such suggestions that are or could be made legally in order. For example, a buggy would be useful there, so you don't have to travel everywhere with a heavy truck.

Textures are problematic because we use procedural generation and so there are some specifics. Also the system will change with the introduction of multiple climate and land types. What might help here would be a collection of photos of different ecotypes from various parts of the world that we should ultimately render, but I guess this will take off once people can experience the world and would like to see their known ecotype to be present there.

--- End quote ---

Hi Cameni,

I am wondering here about the many types of land cover that will be available in OT and wonder how much of the "Blue Marble" technique/data will allow the addition of extremely high volumes of varying biomes of the world. I want to link you to a website that covers the many types of ecosystems contained in New Zealand. There are so many but hope that this can be a resource for you with OT.

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/research/ecosystems/rare/index.asp

Cheers,

Kelvin

cameni:
Thanks, a nice resource. Hmm, I'm wondering how to make some user-creatable land types. The Blue Marble basically give the color of a 500x500m cell. MODIS dataset, from which the Blue Marble was derived, contains several infrared and visible color bands and is able to tell a rough land type from these parameters. However, the type is quite rough, and BM contains far higher variation. My original idea was to get resources for major land types, get their color appearance, temperature and precipitation ranges, and run it over the whole dataset to select the best match for each pixel.

Then if someone produced a new land type, picked one area where it occurs (by color or other factors), it could be detected the next time the processing runs.

Jagerbomber:
What time of year?  I'd think (late?) Spring would be the best if that data is available.  Otherwise the grass is pretty brown here 90% of the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version