Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How can the community help  (Read 20490 times)

Tottel

How can the community help
« on: August 10, 2011, 06:12:03 pm »

6. How can the community help? :>

Can we donate or send in 3D models, textures, sounds, music,.. ?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: How can the community help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 04:53:53 am »

There was a thread about 3D modeling help. The sandbox game will have the ability to import models so people will be able to check how things look in the world. We are looking at how to handle the legal aspects of automatic content replication and sharing, so that once you import a model it gets visible to others visiting the same location.

If you have some vehicle models that could get into the game, that are consistent with the game setting, we would welcome any such suggestions that are or could be made legally in order. For example, a buggy would be useful there, so you don't have to travel everywhere with a heavy truck.

Textures are problematic because we use procedural generation and so there are some specifics. Also the system will change with the introduction of multiple climate and land types. What might help here would be a collection of photos of different ecotypes from various parts of the world that we should ultimately render, but I guess this will take off once people can experience the world and would like to see their known ecotype to be present there.

Jak_o_Shadows

• http://jak-o-shadows.users.sourceforge.net
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 04:02:05 am »

Possibly update the updates one with the google plus linky thingo? (I figured it would be ok to post as it would get deleted anyway).
Do you know how hard it is to get a 51 frame gif under 10kb at a decent resolution?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 04:21:25 am »

Quote from: Jak_o_Shadows
Possibly update the updates one with the google plus linky thingo?
Uh, can't parse the sentence :|

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 05:04:04 am »

I have used my massive brain to deduce that this man wants.....

You to add GooGle+ as a source for updates.

That will be $399 for the translation.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 05:47:28 am »

That thought sparked in my tiny brain too, but then I thought - does G+ allow uploading of any (binary) files? Anyway, any http source should work.

corona

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 04:39:20 pm »

Why binary files? I think he just wants a +1 (vote)link on the blog, so he can +1 it.

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 03:29:01 am »

There was a thread about 3D modeling help. The sandbox game will have the ability to import models so people will be able to check how things look in the world. We are looking at how to handle the legal aspects of automatic content replication and sharing, so that once you import a model it gets visible to others visiting the same location.

If you have some vehicle models that could get into the game, that are consistent with the game setting, we would welcome any such suggestions that are or could be made legally in order. For example, a buggy would be useful there, so you don't have to travel everywhere with a heavy truck.

Textures are problematic because we use procedural generation and so there are some specifics. Also the system will change with the introduction of multiple climate and land types. What might help here would be a collection of photos of different ecotypes from various parts of the world that we should ultimately render, but I guess this will take off once people can experience the world and would like to see their known ecotype to be present there.

Hi Cameni,

I am wondering here about the many types of land cover that will be available in OT and wonder how much of the "Blue Marble" technique/data will allow the addition of extremely high volumes of varying biomes of the world. I want to link you to a website that covers the many types of ecosystems contained in New Zealand. There are so many but hope that this can be a resource for you with OT.

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/research/ecosystems/rare/index.asp

Cheers,

Kelvin
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:12:51 am »

Thanks, a nice resource. Hmm, I'm wondering how to make some user-creatable land types. The Blue Marble basically give the color of a 500x500m cell. MODIS dataset, from which the Blue Marble was derived, contains several infrared and visible color bands and is able to tell a rough land type from these parameters. However, the type is quite rough, and BM contains far higher variation. My original idea was to get resources for major land types, get their color appearance, temperature and precipitation ranges, and run it over the whole dataset to select the best match for each pixel.

Then if someone produced a new land type, picked one area where it occurs (by color or other factors), it could be detected the next time the processing runs.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 05:13:54 pm »

What time of year?  I'd think (late?) Spring would be the best if that data is available.  Otherwise the grass is pretty brown here 90% of the time.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:17:20 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:56 pm »

The data should cover all the seasons and transitions in-between.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 11:00:09 pm »

That too.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 01:47:01 am »

The data are available for each month.

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 05:50:43 am »

Thanks, a nice resource. Hmm, I'm wondering how to make some user-creatable land types. The Blue Marble basically give the color of a 500x500m cell. MODIS dataset, from which the Blue Marble was derived, contains several infrared and visible color bands and is able to tell a rough land type from these parameters. However, the type is quite rough, and BM contains far higher variation. My original idea was to get resources for major land types, get their color appearance, temperature and precipitation ranges, and run it over the whole dataset to select the best match for each pixel.

Then if someone produced a new land type, picked one area where it occurs (by color or other factors), it could be detected the next time the processing runs.

That sounds very logical and if it works will look very spectacular indeed.
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 12:46:35 am »

Hmm, I'm wondering how to make some user-creatable land types.

Purple grass?Crystal or diamond roads instead of dirt?All custom made? :D  ( I mean... can we make pieces of ground, then multiply it. Or have it like the road works, we make the new ground and we use it where we need it?(even if its made out of diamond, crystal precious marbles) :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:50:17 am by Midviki »
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670
Pages: [1] 2