Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Closed beta of Outerra Tech Demo Alpha has started  (Read 101009 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Closed beta of Outerra Tech Demo Alpha has started
« on: September 27, 2011, 04:34:40 am »

Several days ago we started a closed beta test of the Outerra engine techdemo 1. Initially we took just a few testers, in the second round we have added some more to the current total of 26 testers.

People for the test are being primarily picked from long time active members of our forums. We will be expanding the testing group even further, but only after getting the amount of reported issues down below a threshold, in order not to get ourselves overloaded.

So far the testing goes well, we are receiving automated crash reports and we instantiated a bug tracker as well to keep it all organized. A couple of unexpected issues on different HW&OS popped out, and looks that there's yet another issue with ATI drivers hidden somewhere.

Some of our testers are already letting to run their fantasies about upcoming games wild :-)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:39:08 am by cameni »

datslok

Re: Closed beta of Outerra Tech Demo Alpha has started
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:52:39 am »

This is epic, I can almost feel the gradually closing proximity of a demo!  ;) keep up the good work. ps i know you will  :P

yhwhluver

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:50:34 am »

This is terrific news!  This is awesome, guys!  Can't wait to see more of this.

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:03:15 pm »

Oh, that's are great news!  8)

George

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:25:40 pm »

Awesome! Here's hoping I get a chance to test... :P

DarkDXZ

• Exception within exception...EXCEPTION!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 01:15:58 pm »

A little question here.
These, who are testing this - could they record a footage of this?

I don't say I test this (I wish I did...), but this is question first to you, cameni, and later to beta testers.

I'm curious how would that look from tester's perspective...
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" - Joseph Stalin

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:22:54 pm »

We have a separate forum for the testing itself, where all the bug reports and issues go, but they are now (as from today) allowed to talk about their experience and to post screenshots of stuff that we have already covered on the forums or blog.

bkolb

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 02:48:19 pm »

Cool!

The demo is the flight simulator you've already posted some pics and videos, correct?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »

It's not a flight simulator, it's just an alpha demo of Outerra technology, with stuff that we have shown thus far.

bkolb

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 03:12:57 pm »

Thx for the reply. Just out of curiosity, can you briefly describe what you can do in/with the demo? Unfortunately I am running on a Mac. So I guess I cannot have a look too soon...

ddenn

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 03:39:00 pm »

Hi all,

I happen to be one of the testers and I'm allowed to post my comment to public place.

As a flightsim enthusiast I'm looking at Outerra mostly as a future simulator of flight, though I have and some different ideas now.

So what we have in a beta of Tech Demo? We have very detailed terrain (especially in the mountains area), a lot of trees on slopes, detailed roads, and some buildings (a bit simple for now). How can we explore all of that? We can drive Tatra, fly Cessna and Apache, use "UFO" to move fast around globe, and we have first person view with avatar (but avatar is not animated in beta, which is looking funny). We don't have many sounds yet, only engine sounds for Cessna and Apache.

What else we can do? We can make different roads and put some static objects. Of course we can make a screenshots and even record a video.

There's a lot of menus where you can set up controls, select (or save) camera position, change time and play with some colors of fog, water and such.

How does it work? After starting the client fist time and logging in, the Outerra starts to download terrain files for your current location. That can take time if you have slow internet connection, though for one place the files are not very big. Default location is an airfield near Fractopolis town. Default view is UFO camera.

The most impressive part for me is a simple flight in the Cessna above forests and mountains. I'm spending a lot of time just staring at the window of Cessna (you can control view using mouse) while flying at low altitude above the trees. Though we have only one type of tree, a pine tree and no 3d trees in the beta, the forests look very realistic from low altitude.

What I missing most of all in the Tech Demo beta is the clouds, weather and rivers; variety of tree types and ground textures. I hope to see all that in the Game soon.

I believe there's a big future in this project, it definitely could be the "Simulator of Everything" eventually.
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

mctash

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 07:27:46 pm »

Thanks for the report ddenn. Good stuff, can't wait to get my grubby little mits on this :)

EDIT: just looked at your pics. Been playing FSX and DCS A 10 in the past couple of days and boy do those Outerra pics look good by comparison.

Are you allowed to tell us what specs your pc is and whats fps you are getting?

McTash
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:31:07 pm by mctash »

Chaoss

• After Days
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 07:59:58 pm »

I'd love to get into the closed beta of Outerra as I have been in quite a number of early to late closed alpha and beta tests. namely for Focus and Sirius, Codemasters and currently Gamma Wave Games. This is something I always keep my eye on as it interests me greatly. I'm very good at finding quirky bugs that a lot of people may miss or overlook. I can use both an Nvidia graphics card (GTX 470 AND a GTX 560Ti) and an AMD card (an ATI Radeon 5750). I do also have a Quadro FX 4400 handy. I have several systems I can test this on. I'd spend a good several days (yes days) walking, flying and vewing the world, followed by testing out all the available features and coming up with some pretty obscure looking results. Any bugs I find I can report back in detail, with how to reproduce them and all that. please please please lemme test it :p

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 11:25:31 pm »

I've also been putting OT through it's paces for a while now. Be glad it wasn't released publicly as it was/is still too broken for an unknowing person to take seriously. First five crashes and they would probably move elsewhere. It is important that the demo work and be stable especially on ATi card.

Some fun with renderer colors..

Also the UI needs a bit of work. I still cant get my controls set up for wheel and joystick at the same time.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:17:15 am by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

ddenn

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 11:59:50 pm »

Thanks for the report ddenn. Good stuff, can't wait to get my grubby little mits on this :)

EDIT: just looked at your pics. Been playing FSX and DCS A 10 in the past couple of days and boy do those Outerra pics look good by comparison.

Are you allowed to tell us what specs your pc is and whats fps you are getting?

McTash

I can only tell that on q6600, 4gb ram, GTX460 with 2gb vram I have enough fps. And as I understand the released version will be more optimized.
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7