Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Closed beta of Outerra Tech Demo Alpha has started  (Read 101040 times)

jokko

Re: Closed beta of Outerra Tech Demo Alpha has started
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2011, 09:26:04 am »

We are considering to replace a couple of inactive beta testers with some fresh blood. Probably will do it together with switching the account system we are using for a new one, that is meant for the alpha game we are going to release soon.

So, here's your chance. Meanwhile, interested people should be active on the forums :)

Hopefully the demo and game alpha will come out really soon now, opening it to all.
Hi cameni, I'm watching and waiting for a long time, Can I get a chance too?
Thank you!

many people waiting :D
i am not just so active on forum:) and truth is that i discovered Outerra 1 month ago?:)

TheSquiffy

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 03:15:51 pm »

Hi, if there is the possibility, I'd like to participate...

but... omg! this is my first post! how I can be active??  :o

well, I follow the forum more than once a day, is it valid anyway?  ;)

Sq.

We are considering to replace a couple of inactive beta testers with some fresh blood. Probably will do it together with switching the account system we are using for a new one, that is meant for the alpha game we are going to release soon.

So, here's your chance. Meanwhile, interested people should be active on the forums :)

Hopefully the demo and game alpha will come out really soon now, opening it to all.

giallanon

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 05:04:02 am »

I'm a long time lurker. I read this forum everyday but don't have much to say. I'm "active", just don't have anything to say :)

herko

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2011, 01:11:22 pm »

this enginge is awesome  hope i will ever get a chance to try it out !

Dave

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2011, 11:36:09 am »

What is the minimum system requirements for PC which can run Outerra? I'd like to participate but I don't know can my PC run it.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2011, 12:46:22 pm »

Minimum is 8800GT and better graphics card, and a 2-core processor. The card is important, CPU not that much. The latest video by petitfilou http://vimeo.com/user1279567 has been made on his machine with Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.17Ghz,  Nvidia GTS 250 512mb

Some people have run it on 8600GT too. Comparable ATI cards are slower because of some performance issues in drivers that are being slowly worked around or fixed by AMD.
Note also that current alpha is not yet fully optimized, it will get better over time.

Dave

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2011, 02:13:02 pm »

How about single core AMD Athlone 64 3700+?
And as I understand from some posts Outerra need Internet connection always on. What about download/upload speed?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2011, 02:30:54 pm »

With single core processors your experience won't be so smooth. But I think we didn't actually test it yet.

The connection is because Outerra demo downloads the world data progressively, caching them. Once you have downloaded all data for the region you are in, it won't download anything more. The complete dataset is ~13GB but I think no tester has actually downloaded half of it. For a single location and a few tens of km around it you need to download around 100MB. Moving further away will download additional data on the background.

Dave

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2011, 02:52:49 pm »

I've had problems with some games that needed a dual core processor or SSSE3 instructions, and without them they simply did not run. I hope such problems will not  happen with Outerra.

TheSquiffy

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2011, 02:57:44 pm »

The demo is thus based only to real data or something is generated procedurally?

Sq.

With single core processors your experience won't be so smooth. But I think we didn't actually test it yet.

The connection is because Outerra demo downloads the world data progressively, caching them. Once you have downloaded all data for the region you are in, it won't download anything more. The complete dataset is ~13GB but I think no tester has actually downloaded half of it. For a single location and a few tens of km around it you need to download around 100MB. Moving further away will download additional data on the background.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2011, 04:52:29 pm »

Real data up until the level with ~76m resolution, followed by procedurally generated detail down to 9cm resolution.

Chrisx909

• Outerra Beta Tester
    • free addons for FSX with installer
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2011, 05:39:37 pm »

A few screenshots from Outerra:
(click on the images, to get a bigger resolution!)

(Great Britain)

Greetings from Germany
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:44:59 pm by Chrisx909 »

Piranha

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2011, 09:14:37 pm »

Holy Sh**! I found this engine via Youtube just a few hours ago and I'm totally stunned by the complexity of it (besides these awesome graphics).

I've looked for an engine like that for years! Not for consuming it, but for developing a spacegame with it. Is it right that you "only" doing something like a flight- or race-simulator? Shame, there is no game space game with loading free planet streaming. You would totally crush the whole market.

Which language uses the engine? Are multible planets possible? Is it possible to work on this engine? Is there an job posting for required programmers?
I'm a student and are into programming since 4 years in c, c++, delphi, c#, java

(Sorry for so many questions but I think I found my holy grail here ^^ )
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:17:24 pm by Piranha »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2011, 09:37:36 pm »

Maybe you should ask the magic 8 ball.  ;D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2011, 03:36:06 am »

Which language uses the engine? Are multible planets possible? Is it possible to work on this engine? Is there an job posting for required programmers?
I'm a student and are into programming since 4 years in c, c++, delphi, c#, java
Some of the questions are answered in the FAQ. There are no job postings (yet), but the plan is to open the modding and game making possibilities by evolving our game and its sandbox mode into a platform. Read for example here. But first we need to get the public demo out, and start working on the game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7