Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battlefield 3 Beta  (Read 18538 times)

mctash

Battlefield 3 Beta
« on: October 01, 2011, 08:58:08 am »

Hey guys,

Has anyone else tried the BF3 beta? Just interested what your thoughts are on the game itself and the new battlelog thingy.

McTash

Jagerbomber

Re: Battlefield 3 Beta
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 01:21:56 pm »

I finally got to play it on my new rig yesterday after trying to help EA find a solution to the Battlelog login issues a lot of people were having.  I missed my early access and they took down the Caspian Border servers so that sucks.  :'( It runs really smoothly on a GTX 570 Superclocked and a i7 2600K at absolute max settings, but I haven't done anything to figure out my exact framerate yet.  There's a couple of minor graphical issues like the screen flashes occasionally like a lighting/shader bug or something plus Vsync doesn't seem to work.  It runs smooth though.

Then there's the lag.  It took me like 4 tries for it to put me in a server than wasn't extremely laggy for me.  You can't see the server ping or sort by server ping yet in the Battlelog though it does have a Ping column that just has "--" for every server at the moment.

Like most maps it can be frustrating at first when you don't know the layout of the map, but soon it becomes fun.  As for Operation Metro though... I'm not a huge fan of the map.  I'm looking forward to the huge maps myself.  Operation Metro for me gets old fairly quickly, especially the subway section.  I'll probably play it for a while each day still, but having only that map kind of sucks.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

mctash

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 01:30:11 pm »

I updated my nvidia drivers to the beta release that supports BF 3 better but its crash city for me. Always the really nasty type with pine cone syndrome across my displays requiring the reset button to restart. Battlelog also annoys me. I'd like to have a server browser in game aswell.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 02:04:08 pm »

You aren't overheating or clocking too high?  Do you have a good enough power supply?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

mctash

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 02:27:56 pm »

maybe, its an old 9800 gtx. Power supply is new Coolermaster 500w. No power supply needed for card so it should be ok. Its not clocked up or down. Also, have you seen the 200 player servers that are popping up. It appears the server files have leaked :) Stay away though, from what i gather it looks like EA are threatening with bans if you join them.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 03:09:27 pm »

200 Players on Operation Metro?! x.x

Also, how the heck are you expecting to run BF3 on a 9800?  :o

mctash

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 03:24:29 pm »

Ah yes, well i realised the trusty 9800 gtx may be a "small bottleneck" ( :) ) in my new system. Other than that its a 3.7ghz quad with 8 gig ram. So i was hoping to play on low.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 05:10:06 pm »

And, of course, there's the whole BF3 vs MW3 debate.  The heat is already going up in that debate.  The most important point to me is that from Hutch's account, MW3 is just like MW2.  And that's disturbing people.  The CoD franchise is at a critical point.  With MW2 consigned to the trash bin, and Black Ops already heading that way too, this may be the point at which BF3 triumphs: according to a YouTube video, BF3 pre-orders are outselling MW3 pre-orders at Gamestop.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

SpaceFlight

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 02:18:03 pm »

Hey guys,

Has anyone else tried the BF3 beta? Just interested what your thoughts are on the game itself and the new battlelog thingy.

McTash

Battlefield 3 is going to be a great game.
Have you played "Caspian Border" when it was up? Great fun.
I even like "Operation Metro". Compared to other shooters that are out right now it rocks and its only the Beta.
I like Battlelog but I dont like to have to log in into both Origin and Battlelog to play the game.
Havent played on the 128+ servers but if DICE officially supports a higher player count later on its going to be epic. 8)
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 02:38:04 pm »

Heck, I don't even play first person shooters and the Operation Metro map took my breath away.  It's everything I would have put in a map.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 06:43:20 pm »

I missed Caspian Border and my early access because of a major activation key screw up that they had.  >:(

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 02:10:20 pm »

Yes, only 3 days with Caspian border is not enough time >:(!

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 06:06:03 pm »

Any of you still playing this now that it's live? :)

FSGWire on Origin.

The guys I play with have a dedicated BF3 channel on TeamSpeak, and we have 2 32-man servers (One dedicated to Rush maps, the other to Conquest Hard Core).
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 02:37:58 am »

I was until the TF2 Halloween update came out last night.  Been playing that all day.  ATM I don't really care that I'm not playing BF3 because I'm waiting for them to fix the horrible lag problems.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 03:28:53 am »

That's been my issue as well lol.

Try the servers for Full Spectrum Gaming.  bf3serv1.fsgnetwork.com and bf3serv2.fsgnetwork.com (I think that's correct).  FSGNetwork.com has the link to our servers.  We're usually on around 6:00pm CST.  The servers are relatively lag-free.  Serv1 is Conquest Hard Cord, and Serv2 is Rush.  Both 32 man maps.  If anyone gives you any grief, tell them that Wire sent you, and he's going to be pissed if they don't treat you with respect :) (the guys are great, and won't generally give you a hard time, but it will make them laugh if you say that lol)

Poke me on Origin, and login to ts.fsgnetwork.com for voice chat.  I'm "wire" on their Teamspeak, and even though I show up in the listing as "AFK" most of the time, I'm usually within reaching distance for the server, depending on my work schedule.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)
Pages: [1] 2