Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Future of the game - IV - Sapiens  (Read 9836 times)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
Re: Future of the game - IV - Sapiens
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 03:58:01 pm »

Since there have been some screenshots on the new microprose website https://www.microprose.com/ that resemble very much outerra based scenery and the guy owning microprose is the same owning titanIM it seems that what you propose is already in the plans at least. Let 's see if it ever will see the light
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:02:32 pm by fly77 »

aWac9

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 04:38:22 pm »

This landscape is outerra, but we don't know what project it corresponds to. MIcroprose, which, as we know, was acquired by David Lagettie, commented that they will play games ...... will it be outerra ?? will the apache be modernized? Will it be a weapon type game? .. who knows? yes ,, sure there will be someone who knows ,,, ,, I guess so ... or not ??  ::)  ???

wesleyibruce

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2022, 10:43:33 pm »

Are you sure VBS4 uses outerra engine licence ?

The engine they use seems VBS blue and that one is advertised by them as follows :

"VBS Blue is an innovative new whole-earth rendering technology from Bohemia Interactive Simulations. VBS Blue ingests a wide range of source data and renders high-fidelity, high-performance scenes from space down to blades of grass. In this video, we show geo-specific scenes generated rapidly in VBS Blue. We are leveraging TerraTools technology for rapid, easy-to-use planetary terrain generation and editing.
  "

The video presenting the engine looks different from outerra (for instance roads)

The difference with the roads I see is that they have a little smoothing around the roads so the roads define the terrain mesh height before buildings are added and mess with the mesh. I also noticed they make no attempt to cross rivers and thus have no bridges. Outerra has them as fords and causeways that allow travel. Bridges are hard but not impossible. Also their roads are not flat, where the slope crosses the road the road tilts to match.

Adding a probability based road tilt, camber, and smoothing particularly between to parallels roads 2 meters apart or less may work. I some places you get what we see now in other places its smooths more. This would be random but may be influenced by rainfall and road surface.  High rainfall places have drains between roads, high camber so the water runs off and are more raised roads to clear flooding. A whitish concrete with drain could be a useful surface terrain texture to add to urban terrain to make Outerra cities look more of a concrete jungle. This takes out the stray excess grass in some city centers.   
Pages: 1 [2]