Anteworld - Outerra Game > Game & gameplay discussion

Anteworld Game Design Think Tank

<< < (3/10) > >>

fly77:

--- Quote from: wesleyibruce on June 24, 2022, 01:47:45 am ---I am not strictly a game dev. I have dyslexia so while I know what the codes doing; if you hand me a page of code my head explodes with in 5 minutes. It actually hurts to read!
I also see game designers making work for them in many case by by making changes to the game world then the changes could be to an empty in the game world. The over designed elevators in star citizen are a case.
Ideally a game in Anteworld should be a set of empties that you interact with so major changes to the engine are not happening around you.

There is no reason why a game can't be a chain of mods. That's how Minecraft developed.

--- End quote ---

I see. OK.  Mysterious concepts for me: " an empty"  what's that ?  "chain of mods" how to understand this ? here we're doing mods of vehicles, planes, boats but they are each separate from each other.  "chain"  = Trying to establish links between mods (what kind of links)  ?

wesleyibruce:
Ha Now I see the typos in my own post.  :facepalm:
An empty is an bounding box with out an object or texture. It can be interacted with in the game. It can be a bounding box that detects a player and triggers an event. Its in blender, unity and unreal but different games give them different names.
A chain of mods is something in minecraft modding where mods depend on each other. It allows more flexibility and more specialization. Smaller modding teams use it. It also makes debugging easier. I.e. In minecraft there is a farming mod Pan harvest craft that other people have built on. with a kitchen mod; cooking for block heads, bamboo mods that add recipes and crops. Etc.
In minecraft the ore bodies; pistons; bamboo; and sea life were all once mods. Mojag hired the best modders.
In Arma 3 there is a mod that adds hunting the rabbits, skinning them and cooking the meat, another survival mod where you can cook other things that are just decorations in the base game. In the base game the rabbits are just a distraction. One mod adds a random killer rabbit from Monty Python that can take out whole platoons.   

fly77:

--- Quote from: wesleyibruce on June 25, 2022, 10:42:40 am ---Ha Now I see the typos in my own post.  :facepalm:
An empty is an bounding box with out an object or texture. It can be interacted with in the game. It can be a bounding box that detects a player and triggers an event. Its in blender, unity and unreal but different games give them different names.
A chain of mods is something in minecraft modding where mods depend on each other. It allows more flexibility and more specialization. Smaller modding teams use it. It also makes debugging easier. I.e. In minecraft there is a farming mod Pan harvest craft that other people have built on. with a kitchen mod; cooking for block heads, bamboo mods that add recipes and crops. Etc.
In minecraft the ore bodies; pistons; bamboo; and sea life were all once mods. Mojag hired the best modders.
In Arma 3 there is a mod that adds hunting the rabbits, skinning them and cooking the meat, another survival mod where you can cook other things that are just decorations in the base game. In the base game the rabbits are just a distraction. One mod adds a random killer rabbit from Monty Python that can take out whole platoons.

--- End quote ---

Very interesting ! Thanks !

Here is an "empty" mod, that activates a trigger flag. Please try it out and let me know if this for you is a valid example of an "empty"

download from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NZgUpALWgsdjqRC_MKVP_GEo33VVZQ6G/view?usp=sharing

installation: click on self-installing empty.otx file

use: in outerra open scenery editor (F7 key) , under assets search for "empty", drag and place it in the scenery , in ufo mode move close to the "empty" cube
you should hear "tada !" sound and text on the screen. Activation occurs when at a distance < 2 m, for reactivation you need to move back by 1 m first

wesleyibruce:
Yep fly77 you've got it but the box in games have too states and an additional property. One state toggles on visibility with it normally toggled off; on for builders; off for players. Secondly its generally detecting the player or vehicle but not collide. You can walk though it when it invisible. You still get the Tada. If you populate them procedurally then in visible mode they should not make a draw call if possible un less close or frame rates are really low or there in your forward arc of view. That way the game not tying to draw hundreds of things.

Then you can locally reference, spawn decorations, loot, animals, fish, etc. but with anything spawned have clean up line of code so it you leave the area time or distance it wipes the spawned stuff but not the empty. Other wise you will get a world full of junk and epic lag.

I finally got around to buying the full version. 

fly77:
Very interesting. Now I start to see what "empties" are used for.  Yeh I can make them collisionless.  Also I  can make them invisible for players, while remaining visible when placing them in the editor.  For now I won't attempt procedural placement of empties as I am not sure how to meaningfully select locations for them by some procedure. Unfortunately in outerra so far the API has no easy way to detect local terrain type. That would be useful since forest animals should only be spawned in forests (there are unfortunately exceptions  :))  ) , people mostly in cities, cows only on grassy terrain, etc.. What is easily possible now is to detect water. So maybe I could create fish in lakes ...except that I have no good animated fish mod ready now. Birds would be easier as we have at least one working "Free eagle" mod  by andfly...he also made a lot of other very beautiful bird mods but I think they never worked in single bird mode..also it seems the flocks are broken.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version