Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Flight simulator Question.  (Read 3991 times)

FazeFew

Flight simulator Question.
« on: May 08, 2020, 04:24:46 pm »

How do I create a flight simulator using outerra? I am very confused on the coding part of things. If anyone has any tutorials, sweet.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
Re: Flight simulator Question.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 01:46:20 am »

planes flight dynamics in outerra is modelled using a JSBSIM model. If you look at the default plane models you notice there is a FDM (flight dynamics modelling) folder that contains the necessary JSBSIM files.
Interactive cockpits are not yet available and we need to figure it out by our own how to program these, possibly using the available outerra API.
The rest which makes up a flight simulator such as air traffic control, navaids, user interfaces probably requires using dll plugins that we can code using c++
for navaids we need to have a database of them and query the database (through the plugin), same for airtraffic control that needs to manage communication between selected airports or air traffic control and the pilot.Then we need high quality airport sceneries...fortuntaley this can be done simply using 3d models and placing them in the outerra scenery editor.
The rest (wind, atmosphere, dynamic weather, day-night, seasons,) and whole world in future possibly with global building coverage is given by default.
As it is a huge task we need to address one task at a time. it will not be a full blown flightsimulator that can compete with anyone on the market but it can bring all the needed functionalities into outerra
...with lots of dedication,experimenting and crossing fingers

FazeFew

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 09:32:34 am »

planes flight dynamics in outerra is modelled using a JSBSIM model. If you look at the default plane models you notice there is a FDM (flight dynamics modelling) folder that contains the necessary JSBSIM files.
Interactive cockpits are not yet available and we need to figure it out by our own how to program these, possibly using the available outerra API.
The rest which makes up a flight simulator such as air traffic control, navaids, user interfaces probably requires using dll plugins that we can code using c++
for navaids we need to have a database of them and query the database (through the plugin), same for airtraffic control that needs to manage communication between selected airports or air traffic control and the pilot.Then we need high quality airport sceneries...fortuntaley this can be done simply using 3d models and placing them in the outerra scenery editor.
The rest (wind, atmosphere, dynamic weather, day-night, seasons,) and whole world in future possibly with global building coverage is given by default.
As it is a huge task we need to address one task at a time. it will not be a full blown flightsimulator that can compete with anyone on the market but it can bring all the needed functionalities into outerra
...with lots of dedication,experimenting and crossing fingers
So is there any video tutorials on how to do this?

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 10:02:33 am »

No. You need to find it out by looking at existing model code and the limited documentation available for example on outerra github  or for a more basic use  outerra issue tracker http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/. That's the main problem of outerra..you need to find out allmost everything by yourself..on the other hand if you like puzzles and challenges and have lots of time then outerra is for you  =D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 11:23:47 am by fly77 »

aWac9

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 11:26:31 am »

what fly77 proposes you is to get on that rocket and take off without a manual .. ,,,, they are the ones chosen for glory.
relax, listen to the music while you think if you are willing to fly through the air. :)

bomber

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 02:12:10 pm »

Well first off good luck with creating a flight simulator... That's quite an advanced task..

Now have you considered offering up your skills and working with those already working towards this objective ?

I'm a flight modeler, if there's anyone better in JSBsim, I don't know of them.. There are 3d modellers, animators, coders,  and such....

It's just a matter of helping close the gaps.

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

FazeFew

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 02:50:45 pm »

Well first off good luck with creating a flight simulator... That's quite an advanced task..

Now have you considered offering up your skills and working with those already working towards this objective ?

I'm a flight modeler, if there's anyone better in JSBsim, I don't know of them.. There are 3d modellers, animators, coders,  and such....

It's just a matter of helping close the gaps.

Simon
I need to find people to hire. Right now no one is willing to help. I haven't heard of anyone making the same project in this engine. At least not that I've heard of.

bomber

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 03:11:55 pm »

Hiring folk means money....  Teaming up with folk just needs enthusiasm and mutual respect....

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

FazeFew

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 03:28:08 pm »

Hiring folk means money....  Teaming up with folk just needs enthusiasm and mutual respect....
I mean I'm not looking to hire I'm just looking for people to guide me and assist me when I have struggles. Basically a 1 on 1.

bomber

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 08:33:51 am »

This forum and discord is full of people willing to share their knowledge.

FazeFew

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 05:39:14 pm »

This forum and discord is full of people willing to share their knowledge.
Thanks anyways.  ^-^