Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's happening ?  (Read 11525 times)

andfly

Re: What's happening ?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 09:51:05 am »

And already .... you are not wrong ...

Well, my post, actually it was just a thought that tormented me for a long time and I kept for myself because, rightly, what right would I ever have to discuss on the orientation of a product on which I had no right to interfere except that, extremely evanescent, of passion?
If you had known Outerra from the beginning (I really discovered it in 2013 but it was enough) you would have had an idea similar to mine (maybe).
The vehicles that could be used were mainly military vehicles, the native interactive possibilities concerned the ability to explode the ground and create craters, one of the powerful springs that guided the development was the possibility of projecting the environment in an enveloping way and then the use of VR with the Oculus, as if to consolidate the impression of an end of "training".
The revelation of the agreement with TITANIM had seemed to me the natural epilogue of an orientation already natively planned.
Will it be paranoia? Maybe ... however it is irrelevant because it concerns only a personal impression that has no weight and does not intend to have it!
And anyway, I underline it, no intention of criticism! Just a simple observation.
And then ... TITANIM deals with war and, while perfectly understanding the necessity, does not get my immediate sympathy.
What I supposed the end of the TITANIM affair had (selfishly) reassured me because I believed that the duties of assistance, due by contract to this company, were the cause of the slowdown in development.
Luckily it wasn't like that !!!
Probably the Outerra team can still count on monetary revenues that will allow its existence and development.
I only had a little bitter taste left and this time I was unable to hold back ...
I'll be more careful ...

But, I said, you are not entirely wrong.

Indeed Outerra is still a very peaceful environment, too peaceful.
In his post, cameni, he talks about upcoming "scriptable scenery objects, character stuff etc.", probably something will start to move ...
At the same time, I believe it is extremely right, indeed beautiful, that those who have the ability to create mods for this environment dedicate themselves to something lively and exciting, which keeps interest high, which poses obstacles to overcome, which tickles the mind and, in short, , which amuses.
Your work on destructible buildings, for example, is exceptional (and I'm not saying it just to say).
Build the individual sections with the collision characteristics, put them together in a stable way, program the ability to suffer external stresses when they are stronger than those of stability ... high class ...
And if it takes a weapon to give the incipit ... welcome!
A good cannon shot at the right time is what it takes to liven up a boring afternoon !!!

I don't hate weapons and explosions, although I like them less and less, but I think that nature is capable, as it has always done, of posing obstacles and interests to human beings in an equal, if not superior, way to those battlefield.
And then it seems that it is more "natural" to overcome the "natural" difficulties rather than those created by other human beings like us who are awake even at night just to invent the most effective equipment to kill you.

In the mountains there are landslides and avalanches ... sharks and octopuses in the sea, hungry animals everywhere who would like to turn you into an appetizer ... and then volcanoes, cyclones, earthquakes .. etc ..
True, they are not easy simulations and a good cannon (in Outerra there is also the special API: explosion) for now is more immediate.

So let's use cannon shots ... until there is something more exciting ... =D =D =D
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 10:12:03 am »

Now I understand your worries...well yes I was not there in the beginning...but during the last years the variety of models has increased ....including some very high detail models such as the Tank, the boat and the Heli from Titan..the buggy and a set of other cars. ...so it should be clear that there is no "trend" towards a military sim...at least not from what we can see. Some civilian models, some military ones...an equilibrated mix I'd say....except we're still waiting for a new character...so let's hope not a military !

Yes ..scriptable game objects and character stuff ! I think that is what will allow us to bring more life to outerra very soon. ..can't wait to experiment with them..especially characters !
..your observation that already nature poses enough obstacles to human pursuits is a good suggestion for some  limited gameplay mod.  Climb a mountain under adverse weather conditions, cross a river full of croccodiles, dive to the bottom of the ocean to find a treasure cest...all avoiding sharks and giant crabs. Those things could be within our reach soon.
Landslides and avalanches ??...probably more difficult as we have not really the ability to modify the terrain (besides craters and levelling under buildings) ...volcano..yes..you already showed it can be made but it needs to spit rocks that can kill you at least....lava flow ? probably not possible...unfortunately.

Unlimited possiblities I would say....the limit is just our ability to imagine, model, script and program.

so we have stuff to play with for years to come !

long live outerra !  :)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:57:43 am by fly77 »

allymotors

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 10:14:36 am »

Future is promising!
I mainly use outerra for filming and all my mods are byproducts of these video clips. Can't wait to see what's instore in the future.

inactive

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 10:43:22 am »

I honestly hope Outerra gets a multiplayer some day. More specifically, players being able to host their own servers and let others join them. I've always wanted to explore the United States and Canada with some friends in Outerra, or go "camping" in upstate New York. Or even sail a boat together, or fly a jet together.

quentinl

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 04:18:55 pm »

I didn't believe this thread woul get this many replies

Anyway, i think everyone here is eagerly waiting for the new version

yichenlyc

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 01:05:24 am »

Ok guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Things went even more quiet than usual in the second half of 2019, thanks to a couple of things happening.

First a large, long term project we participated on ended, technically successful but with no subsequent big deals materializing. That participation cost us a lot of time and resources, and while the funds from it allowed us to continue working on and enhancing the engine and the world data it needs, it didn't fruit into what we hoped for - a situation that would allow usexpanding and freeing our hands to focus on our own game development plans, in addition to the work that continuously needs to go into the engine itself.

Still, the outcomes of the project were useful in bringing several things into OT, that would be otherwise much harder to come by, for example the 10m imagery and forest mask data, worth >$100k.

Subsequently, a few of the old devs also felt exhaustion from the complex and neverending effort of building the world engine, and left in pursuit of easier targets.

But ultimately all these things led to positive changes.

We've updated our licensing deals with our existing partners. It means that you can (possibly) expect to see entertainment games and/or simulators based on the OT engine in the future, but the deal also includes measures to make our licensees less dependent on us and considerably lower the amount of support we have to provide. We still need to support and develop the engine and the world, but we now have a lot more space for our own development on top of the engine.

Also very importantly, the working atmosphere in our rejuvenated team is also a lot brighter now.

So, what's coming? New x64-only release is around the corner, with new Earth8 datasets including imagery and forest data and global buildings, 3D trees (wip species coverage), global weather, cloud shadows, scriptable scenery objects, character stuff etc.

At the moment we are still fixing some glaring bugs and preparing servers to handle the new data. There's also a plan to release the full data as a DLC on Steam for people who do not want to have the data downloaded progressively, but the whole package for reduced resolution data (40m color, 20m tree map) is currently ~160GB (10m full data package would be around 500GB).

Anteworld stays to be a sandbox game for enthusiasts, but like I said we've now got much more time to work on our game stuff, and a better aligned team as well.

At last, I thank you all for your unbelievable patience ^-^

TLDR: We are still alive and stubbornly working on the thing.

I think the 500GB is not a problem, we can buy a new harddisk for it. Expecting the full data as a DLC release on Steam.
and the DEM on Earth8 will more accurate? Expecting!

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 05:31:33 pm »

Awesome news! Thank you very much for the update Brano, very excited for the new release!

chomper

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2020, 11:47:57 pm »

With the update provided by cameni, this means I'm off to buy a 1TB SSD just for the earth8 10m dataset :D

quentinl

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2020, 03:26:00 pm »

With the update provided by cameni, this means I'm off to buy a 1TB SSD just for the earth8 10m dataset :D

Wait until the update is released

Maybe the SSD price will be lower by then

quentinl

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 10:04:05 am »

Any news ?

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 11:17:57 am »

Any news ?

as there have been a number of devscreens recently (https://twitter.com/outerradev) I suppose they're "converging" to the release of the next update. I just hope its to be before summer holidays.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:22:41 am by fly77 »

quentinl

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 01:47:27 pm »

Any news ?

as there have been a number of devscreens recently (https://twitter.com/outerradev) I suppose they're "converging" to the release of the next update. I just hope its to be before summer holidays.

I hope too

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 05:31:11 am »

Easy boys ... We don't need any of that vault 76 horror or Andromeda googley eyed nonsense from our Outerra. :D

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

quentinl

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 06:42:26 am »

Easy boys ... We don't need any of that vault 76 horror or Andromeda googley eyed nonsense from our Outerra. :D

What are you talking about ?

Jagerbomber

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 02:44:34 pm »

Yeah, what are you talking about, all Mass Effect games have "Special Eyes".   ^-^

"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3