Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: RE: ybot  (Read 4453 times)

Occams Razer

• Freelance Graphic and Game Designer, 3D Artist
RE: ybot
« on: August 10, 2020, 11:09:41 pm »

Hi, everyone! I'd like to say that I'm loving the new update so far, especially the new bipedal characters/character features. I always found the mercenary too sluggish to be practical in such a large space, so characters that can actually run are a welcome change.

However, there are some problems:
  • The normal walking animation looks wrong for some reason. I don't know if it was the motion capture, or the animation import, but the character's upper arms seem like they're sitting behind the shoulders. It may just be me, but it makes the character look like a runway model =D
  • The falling animation is being used too liberally. The way it seems to work now is that if the bottom of the character's collision box isn't making contact with a surface, the falling/landing animation will play. This sounds like it should make sense, but it results in the character stopping abruptly when descending hills or walking over large rocks. A delay of about .4 seconds between the last contact on the collision box and the animation playing should prevent this happening, and a quick check to make sure the character isn't ascending should allow the player to jump.
  • This is probably more a lacking feature than a glitch, but it would be nice for bipedal characters to be able to make contact with buildings. Cars can, aircraft can, I don't see why people can't.
  • First person mode isn't exactly first person mode, at present. Not too sure why this is.
  • Some vehicles/aircraft don't have support for bipedal character seating, resulting in the character floating behind the vehicle/aircraft.

A few of these are likely known, but it would polish off the experience with using the characters.