Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: What's next ?  (Read 6855 times)

quentinl

What's next ?
« on: August 14, 2020, 04:12:14 pm »

Hi,

Since this topic https://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=4925.0, a new version was released (which is great by the way)

So my question now is what's next in store ? Maybe we'll see a roadmap ? Or a Steam release with the offline datasets as DLC ?

Can you tell us what's coming in Outerra (doesn't matter big or small, at least for me)

Maybe i'm asking too soon

Thanks in advance

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: What's next ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 02:46:23 am »

Initially there will be mainly bug fixing and performance tuning.

We have tested the data packages under Steam, but apart from some minor technical issues Steam has with such large DLCs it's also problematic on a different level. The problem is that the full dataset in the same resolution that you get now progressively downloaded, 40/20 meter data (or 20/10 if you enable it) would be 172 GB (resp. 350 GB). That's quite a lot to download for an unknown game for new users. Including just some reduced resolution data would make it uglier, again not something attractive for the users.

For now we've set up a dedicated server for the data that should be providing a much better download speeds than our previous one. We assume that once we put it on Steam, the installation will include data for several startup locations in full resolution, and the rest will be downloaded dynamically. For people that really want to have the complete dataset there will be a separate DLC or two with the full data.

Anyway, a Steam release needs to be much more polished and playable for the common user, and we also have to address some woes with AMD GPUs and drivers first.

Currently we are working on several things, like characters, interactive cockpits, AI, road & rail editor etc, all needed for possible future games made on the platform, about that - later.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 04:55:12 am »

Wow !  interactive cockpits ! that'll be great !  ....and well "rail editor"...thank you for considering alleviating the painstaking task of laying down of individual rails one-by-one  :) 

characters ..of course...what would a game be without characters.

It would be desirable also to have an easy way to create a variety of game GUIs/menus callable both from model JS and from ufo mode (associated to different keys or brought up by clicking on some customizable onscreen menu)
..so that we can easily create mods  for instance to choose items form a list or to configure character etc ..
(for now it seems we really only have the canvas  and the "t-key vehicle config window" the latter apparently with very limited possibilities not callable from ufo mode)

in terms of future game-plans I'd like to see games that are highly moddable...as is outerra now..so that users can expand the game and let it live / prosper for a long time even without much of dev support

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 05:27:46 am by fly77 »

Majority

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 11:49:04 am »

Hey, if you need 3d content for free (low and hi poly extreme optimized) specially nature related please let me know.

best regards

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 01:40:09 pm »

what about a Huey heli model with detailed cockpit ?

josem75

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 03:20:23 pm »

We should make a thread for search free models where we can put links and stuff. And maybe creators can also come and see their creations into outerra

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 03:37:05 am »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 03:38:06 am »

Hey, if you need 3d content for free (low and hi poly extreme optimized) specially nature related please let me know.

best regards

I'd like to import a sunflower , animated so that it orients towards the outerra sun :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:40:34 am by fly77 »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 04:34:56 am »

best regards

I'd like to import a sunflower , animated so that it orients towards the outerra sun :)

hmm ... a fast script to get a vector to object on the skyline or distant celestial bodies ? ... Could the sky-box have all its stars have an special ID layer map ( just as the earth has its biome map layer ) to calculate vectors towards ? Could be a whole little mini-game of finding night-sky sights with overlays to show star constellations ... or, and this might be an interesting idea - having an actual night sky overlay from the actual location, by a 3rd party software like Stellarium or CyberSky just as we can overlay maps on terrain from top-down view to create roads ? Just sends the actual location data to the software and it would be able to overlay in slightly transparently in OTs sky dynamically ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.