Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Agartha  (Read 11670 times)

Cadabra

Agartha
« on: March 15, 2010, 01:48:52 pm »

Hi creators of Outerra!
Your amazing work inspires me for some crazy ideas.

Can your engine render a concave world with one massive light source in the center? If so, then you can model legendary Agartha -- the world inside the hollow Earth. The elevation data can be reused but kind of inverted so that there are mountains in Agartha where there are ocean trenches on the outer earth and vice versa.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Agartha
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:03:07 am »

We see Agartha every time the collision fails and we appear inside the planet :) The gravity drags us towards the center, though.
Seriously though, it could be possible, although several things have to be handled. Nothing very complicated I suppose - tile-level culling, and all the normals inverted and so on.

While doing this on Earth doesn't make sense, this reminds me of Dyson sphere and Ringworlds, this is something we'd like to try one day.

Cadabra

Agartha
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:15:26 am »

Cameni, would you mind posting a screenshot of such a bug? I am very curious of what an inverted planet looks like from inside.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Agartha
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:04:43 am »

Doesn't look like much, actually. The first screen is from a location deep under the position on the second screen.
I've disabled the culling to be able to see the inverted terrain at all. Note that high-level terrain culling still follows the rules set for convex planet rendering so you cannot see the up curved distant terrain here. The atmospheric scattering doesn't work right, either