Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Road editor enhancements feedback thread  (Read 72123 times)

josem75

Re: Road editor enhancements feedback thread
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 11:55:56 am »

Well now that dynamic lights are indeed a thing I don't see this being impossible.

We need lithgs also in objects (not only vehicles), but maybe the road lights programed from inside can be a good example for the first light objects in outerra.

The Array tool can be used also in a lot of things. For example, the phone poles. Or electricity towers. Or even the snow towers for chaircable in ski stations. I am trying to do one ski station with those towers. But the cables between towers are a big problem. And we would have the same problem with cables between phone poles or electricity. 

So how can fix that?
This array tool can be completed with a system, where between one object and another, we have a cable (defining thickness, colour  or eventually they can put some texture, angle, etc).
This can be solved by naming objects. For example, if we want make the cables for electricity towers (usually have 3), we can name 3 objects in those electricity towers (in the right position), which will contain the begining of those cables. They will be the points where those cables will be crossing among all the array towers.
The same with chaircable ski towers. Phone poles towers, etc.

Adicionally. We can transport something among those cables. Based again in a name, we can choose a object (in the chaircable in ski station) who will be travelling among all the cable trayectory, and defining a speed, etc (even eventually degree of how the chair will rotate in the fluctuation).
So we have all the system for make complex ski stations, roads with phone poles, lights, trees, and big electricity towers in all the field (maybe there are some map containing the position, or even can be used as osm data.

Also those cables can be affected by the wind in the future.

If the array have more than one cable. Names can be cross1-01 (travell 1-01) , cross2-01 (travell 2-01), etc, etc..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:10:01 pm by josem75 »

josem75

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 12:25:13 pm »

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:04:11 pm by josem75 »

HiFlyer

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 06:58:21 pm »

Nice stuff!

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 02:48:33 am »

Had a good time with it, the game is really nice. The building/road system is mostly made possible by the really simple polygon terrain. It's really smart, because they don't really use a fixed grid system for the roads (like old city buildings) but rather a dynamic one, and as a result it's easier to create some nice things.

I hope their elevated road system will be a good inspiration for OT :)

patmarrnc

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 05:50:58 pm »

After playing with road builder for a while, the biggest thing I'd like to see is the ability to slide spline points around (left, right, forward, backward.)  Interesting that the river editor will let us adjust one side of the river at a time, but road builder just lets us change the left and right borders... not the road itself.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 08:00:16 pm »

m key.  (there might be others).  You have to re-generate it though.  It's not live.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

patmarrnc

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 11:43:16 pm »

m key.  (there might be others).  You have to re-generate it though.  It's not live.

AWESOME! You just made my day! I had completely misunderstood what "move along the terrain" meant.  (I thought it was used to advance my point of view to the next marker, so I never tried it for its actual purpose)

(This will make life easier... thanks for taking time to reply)
Pages: 1 2 [3]